Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are My Files Safe ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 caraneb

caraneb

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:52 AM

HI

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not then sorry !

My laptop is infected with vitumunde, vundo and there has also been notes from noton saying its blocked kill.av and spysherrif. I found this forum a few days ago and posted a hjt log in the forum. I'm still in the queue at the moment, but since hten i have used ad-aware and spybot s&d, used msconfig to only use microsoft adn symantic etc and then scanned again in safe mode. It seems to have helped stop the popups but spybot is still stopping something from making registry changes again. Anyway, I use this computer fro studying and it has all my essays and psych projects on it, is it safe to move them to my desktop ? .....this'll teach me to back things up !!

Any help appreciated.

Thankyou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:57 AM

I have sent a message to a moderator about your request
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 caraneb

caraneb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:02 AM

thanks very much

#4 __RiP_ChAiN_

__RiP_ChAiN_

Eh, whatever goes here.

• Members
  • 1,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:17 AM

Hello caraneb,

Your files should probably be safe to move to the desktop. You appear to be infected with the Vundo type malware, for the most part.
Posted Image

#5 caraneb

caraneb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:19 AM

thankyou !

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

Usually .doc files are "safe" from malware, which prefers to hide itself elsewhere on your hard drive. You do not need to move them to your desktop, although it would be a smart plan to archive them to disk since they are important. You can---and should---scan them when you copy them back to your hard drive.

If you deleted files as a result of your scanning, this could easily have changed the contents of your HJT log. Please run a new log and append it to the original so the team member reviewing your log is not looking at bad data (along with a note about what you ran).

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 14 April 2008 - 02:07 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 caraneb

caraneb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:14 PM

Hello

Thanks alot for all the information and help. I have ran a new hjt log along with combofix as advised by ripchain in the other post. I have also moved all docs onto disk as advised.

Thanks again for all the great help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users