Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help - Explorer.exe Keeps Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Morgane

Morgane

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:01 AM

Hello,

Could anyone please help me with the problem I'm having at the moment. Explorer.exe keeps shutting down on me for no apparent reason and then slows down the PC (which was running ok until then). I am also getting these "tracer effects" when I move a window or when I switch from one program to the next bits of both show at the same time.

I followed all the steps in the slow PC post and the only thing SpyBot found was:

Win32.Autorun.aiv with 2 registry keys:
(SB1$BB1CF91) Settings HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Pml Driver HPZ12
(SB1$9DA3CD65) Settings HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Pml Driver HPZ12

which looks to me to be related to my HP AIO printer.

Not sure this is related but I sometimes run Channel 4 on demand, which uses Kservice (Kontiki), when I don't run this program I disable Kservice in Services and block the Delivery agent in my firewall, as this prevent my PC from slowing down considerably.

Could my problem be related to the fact that I only have 380 RAM left, if so could anyone direct me towards a site which explains how to change/upgrade RAM (preferably in duh-duh language with lots of pictures, as I've never done this before :thumbsup: )

Many thanks.

Morgane

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:55 AM

if explorer.exe shuts down you will have a partial or total windows crash
is it iexplorer.exe that is having trouble?
also info on pml driver here
http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-softwa...pml-driver.html

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

Error messages with shutdowns?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

Check the system for possible overheating? Unexpected, abrupt shutdowns are a typical result of such.

Regarding RAM/memory...I ran a system with XP on 384MB of memory for some time, RAM requirements are somewhat determined by what the user is running, doing on the system and the memory usage of those activities. IMO, 512MB is a safe number for routine activities, 1 GB or more is a good number for activities involving memory-intensive applications (e.g., Photoshop, graphics editors, etc.).

Generally speaking, I tend to think that half of the max acceptable/useable by the motherboard/system...is probably good enough, if user is running XP and doesn't have a board that recognizes 8GB or so. 2GB is probably optimum for XP.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 April 2008 - 11:20 AM.

#4 Morgane

Morgane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

Thank You Caperdog and Louis for your quick replies!

It's explorer not internet explorer that is playing up, I tend to use Firefox unless I have to view pdfs which for some reason don't open in Firefox.

The following is what I found in Event Viewer, there are loads (as explorer crashed loads lately) but they all look like the same message:
Fault: Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2600.0, faulting module divxdec.ax, version 6.8.0.0, fault address 0x0005c021.
Winlogon: The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.
There were no events in the security section of event viewer

The PC somehow recovers after explorer crashes, is usable but somewhat slower.

Does this event viewer message tell you anything, because for me it might as well be written in Swahili :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Morgane

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:38 PM

Worth reading, http://codecs.freeforums.org/divx-related-xp-crash-t507.html

My guess would be file corruption in the codec, but...that's just a guess...unsubstantiated, based on nothing.

Louis

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:39 PM

Hi Morgane

I had the same problem recently, but it has been OK for a few days now - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=794004

I notice your version of Explorer is different to mine. Have you been to Windows Update lately and obtained all the latest Express and Custom items?

re codecs. My players regularly use the FFDShow automatically. If you want to try this, get the latest stable version http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_so...__610__20061201

Good luck

Edited by rowal5555, 14 April 2008 - 04:47 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 Morgane

Morgane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:40 PM

Hi Louis & Rob and thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it!

A little light went on in my head :flowers: (all this, while I was wearing a chef's hat, of course)! The K-Lite & Codec hints are spot on :thumbsup: ! My neighbour, bless him, helped me with the PC over a week ago and downloaded a different version of K-Lite (why only he knows why) and that's when the problems started (slowly but surely).

After reading the codec guide I tried a couple of things in explorer (moving, copying & opening files) and it's only *.avi and *.mp4 files are affected and only when clicked on.

Also I noticed that when explorer crashes the icon in the bottom right corner of the monitor all disappear and reappear shortly afterwards one after the other.

Will it fix the problem if I just uninstall K-Lite? Will this make my *.avi and *.mp4 files unusable (they all have the Media Player Classic icon) with VLC media player (which I normally use)?? Do I need K-Lite installed on my PC? The jigsaw that is my PC knowledge is far from completed.... and any help on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance & Spring Greetings,

Morgane

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:11 PM

Most of trouble-shooting is trial-and-error...you try to pin down a start point and then start fiddling around :thumbsup:, looking for possible ways to solve the problem.

I would at least remove the currently installed KLite codecs...see how the system responds without them...then download a current package of same if I felt that I needed it later.

Louis

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:04 AM

Getting a file to always open with a specific program is pretty easy, you 'associate' that type of file with a particular program.

In any window such as My Computer, My Documents, etc go to Tools/Folder Options/File Types. (You can also get here from Control Panel/Folder Options). Wait for the list to fill up the box then highlight one you are interested in. The 'Details' below the box tells you what program will presently open that file. If you want to change it, click the CHANGE button, then just follow your nose. If the program you want is not listed, click the BROWSE button to go thru all the programs on your C: drive till you get the one you want. Tick the 'Always Open With....' box, and OK your way out. (Just don't change anything you are not sure about, but finding the files presently associated with MPC Player should be pretty easy and you can change them to VLC).

A handy tip is to right click on everything, which will give you the context menu related to whatever you are at, and give you all the options you can do there.

Make a Restore Point before you install a new program, or make any changes to your computer, and fixing a problem is only a couple of clicks. It is also a good idea to put all the info you know about your computer in your profile then people can give you the right advice for your system by checking there first.

That's enough of a saga, LOL. Enjoy your computer, it's only a box of bits there to do what you tell it.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#10 Morgane

Morgane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:05 AM

Rob and Louis Thank you so much!!! You are such stars! :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

I just uninstalled K-Lite, explorer is behaving again and my PC is generally faster than it has been in a a long time!!

Hurrah!! :inlove: :cool: :)

Have a great day!

Kind regards,

Morgane

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:37 AM

Feedback appreciated :thumbsup:, happy computing!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users