Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conflict Between Adobe Photo Downloader (apd) And Scanner?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jellybeanman

jellybeanman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:46 AM

Hi there,

I recently installed Adobe Lightroom (v1.4.1) and now anytime I turn my scanner (Epson Photo V700) on, my computer becomes instantly non-responsive and slow to the point of freezing. I have noticed since installing Lightroom, an icon for 'Adobe Photo Downloader' has appeared in the task bar. If I exit this program first (right clicking the icon), the scanner doesn't have any problems.

My operating system is XP, and I have updated and scanned using Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware and Avast!. I also use ZoneAlarm as a firewall. I believe this is a driver conflict.

Does anyone have any experience of this? :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance ,

Mike

PS. I wasn't sure if this belonged in 'External Applications' (because of the scanner) or 'Graphics... and Photo Editing' (because of Lightroom/APD). Please move if incorrect!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:51 AM

Hi Mike.
According to Adobe, the photo downloader detects connected deivces for image import.
It is not required to actually import images. To disable, uncheck adproxy in msconfig>apply>ok>reboot.

#3 jellybeanman

jellybeanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

Thanks HitSquad - this has done the trick. If this is a known conflict it seems odd that Adobe havn't addressed it. My scanner is a very popluar one!

Cheers for the help.

Edited by jellybeanman, 14 April 2008 - 12:29 PM.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:29 AM

Not sure I would classify it as a conflict as much as I would an unnecessary annoyance. :thumbsup:
People with cameras, all-in-ones and various other usb devices are having the same issue with it.
Sometimes there's such a thing as over-automation.
In any case, you're welcome.

Edited by HitSquad, 15 April 2008 - 06:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users