Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Download

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:11 AM

My Windows Vista disk was damaged so I tried looking for a place on the Microsoft site to download it to no avail. I also tried looking for a torrent and all I could find were "hacked" copies. I have a legitamate Vista key so all I need is the bootable .iso file and I'm good. Where would I find it and how do I identify whether it's a clean OEM or another hack?

Oh yeah, by the way, is it true that any vista disk can be used? I was told that the key determines the version and all versions are actually on the disk.

Edited by zedsed420, 14 April 2008 - 02:13 AM.

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

Windows 7 Professional x64 dual boot Ubuntu 12.10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:51 AM

In general you can use "any" Vista disk - but there are a lot of disks out there that you can't use. For example, HP has taken to "tattooing" their disks for certain models of computers.

If you don't have one of the subscriptions to the Microsoft TechNet or MSDN, any download that you find is apt to be illegal.

FWIW - you can usually get a replacement disk from the manufacturer of your system for a lot less than it would cost to purchase a copy (HP's are usually around $20 US and are mailed to you in a couple of days. In the days of XP there was a requirement that the system builder had to provide a way of recovering the computer as a part of their EULA - there may be the same requirement with Vista.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 zedsed420

zedsed420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:52 PM

OK, so I aquired a 64 bit oem disk. However, when I try to install it, it seems to stall out. It will load the initial files, then it goes to this multigreen colored screen with the mouse pointer visible and just doesn't go any further.
I used killdisk to wipe my secondary drive clean and then disconnected the drive that contained xp so I would be installing to a fresh hd. Same result.
Do I need to do something to my bios or cmos? Is there something else I'm missing? Do I need to wipe the hd that I have XP on to install it?

Edited by zedsed420, 14 April 2008 - 10:16 PM.

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

#4 Korpse

Korpse

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:17 PM

Silly question, but does your computer have a 64-bit processor? If not, I don't know how 64-bit Vista would go on it.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:46 AM

What's the exact make and model of your system? Did this system come with Vista installed on it? If so, was it the 32 or 64 bit version?

It sounds, from what you've related, that the system doesn't want to work with a 64 bit OS. There's many reasons for this, but the make and model is the first place to start looking.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 zedsed420

zedsed420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:11 AM

Ok, so I got the 64 bit installation done and updated to sp1. It took forever! Definitely the longest install to date. And yes my cpu is a 64 bit dual core(AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - OEM). Now I have only one more little favor to ask, In media center, I can't seem to get my .avi files to play. I have installed Klite media codec pack which it says is 64 bit compatible, as well as all the updates from microsoft and the divx pack(64 bit) with no luck. Any Ideas? I can get them to play in windows media player and the divx player just not in media center.

Oh yeah about my system, I built it myself. All the parts I used are listed on my profile.

Edited by zedsed420, 16 April 2008 - 02:12 AM.

#7 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:58 AM

Hi, I have had problems with media centre and avi files try this codec it seems to have fixed to problem for me http://ac3filter.net/project/1/releases
MCP
MSDST

#8 zedsed420

zedsed420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:40 AM

That was a good idea, however, the ac3 install did not help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users