Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Directories Appearing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gentisle

gentisle

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:00 AM

Hi,

After installing Windows XP Pro on my new cpu, and the installing some updates and other software, I notice a lot of new directories on my E: partition. Windows is on C:, the programs that give me a choice of where to install, I install on D:, but I haven't used E: or given Windows permission that I know of. Anyway, the directories are named like this:

4ed54e9de9875aed8d7d6fed6x and so on. They look like checksum numbers, or md5sum numbers. Some of them have files in them and an update.exe.

If my tmp and temp variables were not set to E:\, why would Windows use that partition? Can I delete all of these folders and files? Thanks.

gentisle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:39 AM

i have these files in C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\2eef1638babab138d28fb79f2ed0bcc0\update
right click(update.exe) ---> properties
tells me the file is from microsoft and has to do with a service pack
why windows is using drive "e" i don't know
i would say you have to modify a registry key to fix
will look further

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:18 AM

can't find the answer to change save directory
as far as delete goes, the files contain uninstall info in case you have a problem with an update
some people say you should save them to CD before delete
personally i think if you are not having a problem you can delete them or save the latest, say a month old and delete the rest

#4 gentisle

gentisle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:03 PM

Thanks caperdog. That helps. I figured they were from a service pack. Then I found a reference saying they were from the .NET updates. I think I'll do a backup, delete them and see what happens. I have other uses for drive E:. Thanks again.

gentisle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users