Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hide My Ip Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TaiwanTeacher

TaiwanTeacher

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:02 PM

On Saturday, a friend told me about a program that would let me watch NA based online content (at yahoo) so I downloaded a program called "Hide My IP" to watch a hockey game on Yahoo that was available only in NA. (I live in Taiwan but I'm a Canadian). Sunday, my wife and I enjoyed it so much; we purchased a subscription that lets us watch games legally. So, I removed the program.

Problem: my IP address seems to be the same as it was with Hide my IP and I keep getting "forbidden access" messages from sites that I have to log on to (yahoo, Google, South Morning China Post website, globeandmail.com, CBC.ca, etc...)

Steps taken so far to correct the problem:

1. Ran CCleaner to get rid of clutter
2. Ran registry mechanic to get rid of the reg. entries
3. Ran Spybot in safe mode (no problems reported)
4. Ran AVG 7.5 in safe mode (again no problems reported)
5. Defragged drives using Tune-up Utilities 2007 in normal mode
6. Checked network connect under control panel - looks normal, but I don't know much about this part of computers, but the ip address shows my old one (pre-"Hide my IP")

After these steps, I still get forbidden access messages.

issues that maybe affect fixes....
a. infected with a worm a couple of weeks ago, got rid of it with the help of fourms :thumbsup: , but still haven't restored everything back to normal - restore still disabled
b. OS winXP SP2, Chinese language

please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

lets try this ;

from where did you download this 'program' and by what method ?

by what method did you 'uninstall' it

you got help to clean your computer from an infection ; were you pronouced as clean and was thia from an examination of an HJT log by a reputable forum ?

if it was from a log on a reputable forum , why has your system restore not been turned back on ?

b. OS winXP SP2, Chinese language

do you mean the language on the computer has changed?

#3 TaiwanTeacher

TaiwanTeacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

Hi,

> from where did you download this 'program' and by what method ?

I downloaded it from "http://www.hide-my-ip .com

> by what method did you 'uninstall' it

I uninstalled it using the control panel, remove programs

>you got help to clean your computer from an infection ; were you pronouced as clean and was thia from an examination of an HJT log by a reputable forum ?

I used the instructions given to another user from this forum - the instructions were simple and easy to follow but there was no HJT log - after I followed the instructions, got rid of norton 360, I downloaded one of the recommended (on this forum) free anti-virus programs (avg 7.5) ran it in safe mode and there was no infection reported.

> if it was from a log on a reputable forum , why has your system restore not been turned back on ?

I don't know... the instructions I followed said to go to the control panel and turn it on from there, but it appears that to turn it on i need to change the group policy which means going into the registry. The os is chinese so I'm afraid to go into the reg because I don't want to screw it up.

>QUOTE
>b. OS winXP SP2, Chinese language

>do you mean the language on the computer has changed?

No, I live and work in Taiwan, the computer has an OEM version of XP,SP2 installed in Chinese - When I purchased the computer, the store had no English version - I live in a remote corner of the island - the store manager doesn't speak English very well and my Chinese isn't in "Tech" speak.

#4 TaiwanTeacher

TaiwanTeacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:02 PM

Sorry,

I did scan the download, first using Norton 360 which reported no problems,

I am at work and I just re-downloaded the program from the website and scanned it with avg 7.5 and it reports no problem.

I talked to the guy who told me about it and he says that didn't give his computer a problem, but he hasn't un-installed it (he uses Norton Anti-Virus 2008, Threatfire, and Comodo firewall.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:18 PM

Hello TaiwanTeacher,

It sounds as though you need to reset your IP. Do you use a router? If so, you likely have an assigned IP from your ISP. If not, your IP likely changes each time you connect which is called a dynamic IP.

You may find some helpful information in this MS article about troubleshooting IP and connection problems. I would start with the IP configuration which is under Method 1. Here is a brief quote. The article has many more important details in what to do and how to do it.

To use the IPConfig tool to verify the TCP/IP configuration on the computer that is experiencing the problem, click Start, click Run, and then type cmd. You can now use the ipconfig command to determine the host computer configuration information, including the IP address, the subnet mask, and the default gateway.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067

Hope this helps.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users