Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Restarts When Opening Microsoft Outlook

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Johnmusic992648

Johnmusic992648

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:46 PM

Hello everybody. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I just recently re-did my computer. New motherboard, new memory...the works, except for the same hard drive and same DVD-RW. Everything was great until today.

All of a sudden, whenever I try to open Microsoft Outlook, my computer gives me the blue screen of death and restarts. The blue screen flashes too quickly so I can't read what it says, and the "windows has recovered from a serious error" message pops up upon restarting. This is one of the problems I was having with my old computer as well.

I just performed a registry clean-up, and the problem is still there. I also posted my Hijack This log in the proper board, and it was designated as clean and safe. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:26 PM

Disable auto-reboot by doing this:

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

http://www.tweakxp.com/article36976.aspx

And just to add the last obvious step: press OK -> OK

Now, you'll have a chance to view the screen and note the error message and description...

#3 Johnmusic992648

Johnmusic992648
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:49 PM

It's odd. I actually tried that, and it still did the same thing :flash of blue screen, and then restarted.

Occasionally, the windows error message doesn't even appear. It just starts up as if nothing ever happened!

I'm actually normally pretty good with computers, but this has me baffled.

#4 Johnmusic992648

Johnmusic992648
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:56 PM

So no ideas? Should I plan on just restarting my comp again?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:06 PM

Is this an XP machine? What version of Outlook is this?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Johnmusic992648

Johnmusic992648
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:36 PM

Hello! It is an XP machine, yes.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you the exact model of Outlook since if I open it, my computer restarts. However, it comes bundled with Word 2002.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:02 PM

I'm not sure I have the answer for you but can you post the BSOD error message as someone here will probably be able to assist you with that.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users