Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Update Drivers?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JXBlack

JXBlack

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:19 PM

I don't know how to check what drivers I am using on my desktop running WinXP Sp2 and I was wondering if I could be doing any harm by updating them?

NET Framework Version 3.5
ATI Catalyst Drivers 8.3
DirectX 9.0c (Mar 08)
Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0.5
NVIDIA Forceware 169.21 WHQL

I noticed all of thses on http://www.filehippo.com/

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:37 AM

I'm of the opinion "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" If there's nothing wrong with the system then I don't update them.

If you need .NET 3.5 - the computer will notify you about it.
The ATI drivers are probably fine as they are - if they need updating you'll probably be experiencing video issues
I don't know diddly about DirectX, so I can't answer that one
Most systems will notify you if your Java isn't working properly.
The nVidia drivers are probably fine as they are - if they need updating you'll probably be experiencing video issues
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:38 PM

I am having one problem. When I have many programs running the computer puts up a big DOS page that flashes so fast I am unable to read it. This use to occur once evry day but now it only happens about 2 times a week. Do think the nvidia and ATIdrivers could help with this?

Thanks for your interest.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:53 PM

I'd suggest checking your Event Viewer to see if there are any errors there. Go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and look in the Application and System logs for errors around the time that the DOS screen flashes.

Otherwise, I'd have to suggest using a tool such as the free Process Monitor to find out what's causing the DOS screen. Process Monitor is available here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...wt.svl=featured
Be advised that the log it generates is huge, so it's important to find the exact time that the DOS window flashes by. Once you've captured that time slice you can post the data here for us to have a look at.

Is there a reason that you've got both the ATI and the nVidia drivers installed on your system? Do you have 2 video cards (such as an onboard video card and one that plugs into the motherboard) - or do you have a TV card along with your video card?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:42 AM

Please forgive my delayed reply.

I have not had the crash in the last few days. I have downloaded and installed the Process Monitor that you suggested. I presume that this should be running all the time to catch the contents of that flashing DOS page??

My Device Manager shows my display adapter is Radeon 300/550 ny IDE ATA/ATAPI contoller shows as
NVIDIa nForce Serial ATA controller. It also shows a NVIDIa nForce Networking controller and Bus enumerator.

But everytime I boot up I get an ATI screen.

Can you help me sort this out?

Thanks again for your interest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users