Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is Ntldr?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JXBlack

JXBlack

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:10 PM

I recently had a crashed Drive on my laptop and it was replaced by Compaq. I had backed up the original installation on Acronis. I re installed from Acronis and got my C: partition back ok and then formated my other 2 partitions. Now all I get is a notification about NTLDR and I am unable to boot up Windows XP.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:39 PM

What is the exact error message, concerning ntldr?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:23 PM

The NTLDR or New Technology Loader is software from the boot sector that helps to start the operating system.

If the error message is NTLDR is missing, this article from Microsoft may be of some help.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:13 AM

Yes, it says "NTLDR is missing,,,hit alt-ctrl-del to restart"
I hit it and all I get is the Compaq screen and then the NTLDR screen again,

The Micosoft page that you have given me refers to Windows 2000 not WinXP???

Thank for your interest in my problem.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:58 AM

Then try this one.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

An NTLDR is missing error is usually an error thrown when reading the boot sector of your hard drive. As such, the 3 things to do first are:

1) run a bootable hard drive diagnostic available from the manufacturer of your hard drive. This is to rule out a physical problem with the hard drive.
2) run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console to ensure that the file system on the hard drive isn't corrupted ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ )
3) run fixboot from the Recovery Console to fix the NTLDR error

More info found in the Boot Sector section of this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138692/xp-boot-fixes/
There's a link for further NTLDR troubleshooting there also
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users