Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Fail - Frozen Xp Screen

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Keltonb

Keltonb

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:55 PM

I started my computer the other day and it was frozen on the XP home screen loading page. I tried numerous times over and over it gives the option of Last Known Good Configuration, Safe Mode, Normal Mode, etc. Ive tried them all and they all freeze before reaching the login. I tired system recovery option still it freezes. I even did one of the last stages of trying (next to buying a new computer) I bought a new HD and XP home i installed it and the last page were it says "Now Starting Windows XP" it freezes on that screen.
Ive read through other similar forums just barely and think i might try removing the battery or the jumpers but im just hoping there isnt a shorted circuit on the motherboard preventing the final stages of booting

Please help thanks!

Kelton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:25 PM

I don't see where removal of the battery or the changing of jumpers will help here.

By replacing the HD you have eliminated that piece of hardware, but have you tested the RAM yet?

If there are two pieces of RAM you could always remove one and see if this issue persists. If it does, swap the pieces and try again. This would identify which piece of RAM is defective, if any.

If you care to test the memory:

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic
Memtest86

EDIT: If the RAM tests ok, then you need to disconnect all drives from the motherboard. Try to boot. You should get a messages similar to: Can't find the HDD. Then connect the HD and try again. If it boots, reconnect another piece of hardware etc until you can isolate the offending piece.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 13 April 2008 - 06:27 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Keltonb

Keltonb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:15 PM

Alright Ill check the RAM when i get back to my apartment tonight ill give that a shot and let you know what the update is thanks

#4 Keltonb

Keltonb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

ok so i individually checked each stick of ram I had even one i had laying around i dont use and it would still freeze I disconnected the HD completely and it still freezes on the now starting windows screen the cd drives work but im kinda thinking its the power supply possibly cause the way this whole thing started is my computer froze so bad my power button wouldnt turn off my computer so i did the last thing possible i wanted to do and just pulled the plug from the back which was a last resort and i went to start it back up and it froze on the XP home loading screen so ya

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:10 PM

"disconnected the HD completely and it still freezes on the now starting windows screen"
how did you get to windows screen when hardrive disconnected?
you may think this is stupid but restart machine and enter bios
check the clock
if you removed the battery or cleared cmos(jumper) you may be trying to start xp at a time before it existed

#6 Keltonb

Keltonb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:24 AM

i had the HD disconnected and i had the setup disk for XP home installing and right before its about to start windows, it still freezes on the blue Now starting windows screen. Ill check the BIOS then and see wuts goin on there but i havent took out the battery yet or moved any jumpers,

#7 rf6647

rf6647

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:50 AM

In the scheme of things, your suspicion about the psu is worth pursuing. This assumes that you repeatedly used the RAM testing programs to resemble a 'soak test'. Even if you use the 'minimum hardware' approach to isolate the problem, power to the suspect device remains on the suspect list.

#8 Keltonb

Keltonb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

Well i put a new power supply in it and... it still freezes so im just wondering if there was any last ideas before i get a new motherboard..

#9 GaryT85

GaryT85

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:56 AM

i had a PC in the other day that had similar problems..

it wouldn't boot at all, even if i tried safe mode etc, it would just freeze...

i put the hard drive into another PC and could access everything, so i made backups of important data for the owner, then tried to boot with that hard drive set as the master IDE device in the PC (to eliminate other hardware problems on the suspect PC)... got the same freezing each time..

i put the hard drive back in to the PC and checked the BIOS, there were strange manually set values for IDE devices and their boot sectors, cluster sizes etc.. i set these back to auto but the PC still didnt boot, i then reset BIOS and set each value back to auto, PC worked :thumbsup:

once i finally got in, it was riddled with a load of malware apps, and i mean a load.. still one im trying to remove actually, but that's beside the point.

good luck

#10 rf6647

rf6647

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:48 PM

CPU, GPU, and mobo are the major subsystems remaining. If it is heat related, increased air flow may confirm this as a problem. When replacing the mobo, cleaning off the old thermal paste from the cpu & heat sink will be done. For a few more bucks and for an extra step, you could try re-pasting the cpu before replacing the mobo.

#11 Keltonb

Keltonb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:37 AM

Update.. I recently got a computer to look at for a coworker he only had a bad monitor the computer was fine so I put my original HD into his computer and... it froze up like normal so ha ha it was the HD but then i thought how come the new HD still didnt work so I put the new HD into my buddies computer put my copy of XP in and it did its setup and got past the blue "Now Starting Windows Screen" it then did its steps in final setup installation but then it asked to put a full copy of windows XP so i kept opening and closing the disc but the same error came up I noticed I bought the Upgrade XP Home Im wondering if that would effect it so i guess im goin to get the full version of XP and try it out tomorrow thanks for the helps so far by the way...

#12 Keltonb

Keltonb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:18 PM

well i installed windows on my new HD with my buddies computer and it seemed to work, so i put the new HD back into my computer and started it and when it got to the desktop and started loading all my drives it still oddly freezes so i put that hard drive back into my buddies computer and it didnt read on OS so im back to confused.. by the way again.. thanks for the help so far

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

A windows install on one system...will not necessarily work in another system.

Plenty of reasons for it not to, including the fact that an entirely different set of drivers may be installed by the other system.

Driver problems are probably...the most consistent reason for Windows BSODS, freezes, etc...if one excludes malware, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users