Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dont have to use xp cd when installing new stuff

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:58 PM

Ever been asked to while installing new hardware to insert your windows xp cd?
If this is is the case, you may want to automate the process a bit. Assuming you have enough disk space (meaning at least 600 MB extra), you can copy all that you have in your Win XP CD's \i386\ directory to your harddisk and change its pointer in registry. This way windows searches in this folder and not the cd. Now copy all that you have on the cd in the \i386 directory to say C:\i386 where C: is your hard disk, you can automate this process and avoid being asked for inserting CD by changing following entry in registry. Open registry and navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion and look for the key called SourcePath. Change this key's value to your hard disk path. Now no more use of the cd for installing new hardware.

Hope this helps!

-Cowsgonemadd3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rayandmaura

rayandmaura

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:44 PM

Hey, Thays way cool!! Tips like that is why I love this site.

Thanx!!!

- RAY-

#3 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:44 AM

Yeah GREAT tip..

I always wondered if when you copied the entire CD to the hard drive, whether you could burn the contents to a recordable cd...given MSofts strict anti-piracy policies would there be a problem installing XP from the copied cd in the future..that would be more incase the original got damaged beyond use..never to use it for any other reason.

Darren

#4 TranceWarp

TranceWarp

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:39 AM

I always wondered if when you copied the entire CD to the hard drive, whether you could burn the contents to a recordable cd...given MSofts strict anti-piracy policies would there be a problem installing XP from the copied cd in the future..that would be more incase the original got damaged beyond use..never to use it for any other reason.

It is possible to do just that...but you also need to extract the boot program off the CD and reinsert it in the new compilation. I use this method to do a "slipstream" to the latest SP release of XP. I'll post a couple places to get the info on how to do this when I re-find out where... :thumbsup:

Edit:I found the site I use: ElderGeek XP Slipstreaming Page

Edited by TranceWarp, 16 January 2007 - 12:43 AM.

#5 Cobra2

Cobra2

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:34 AM

Thanks for the tip Cowsgonemadd3 will come in handy :thumbsup:

#6 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:24 AM

You can also use a ISO image recording software and burn a ISO copy of the Windows XP CD. This works a treat. Mainly useful for people that use Volume Licence installs like myself and needing multimle copies to run more than 1 machine up at a time.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users