Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall Glitches

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 musical_tiger29

musical_tiger29

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:48 PM

I have recently encountered several problems when uninstalling programs in Vista...

I have uninstalled the following programs and both have given me various problems:

After uninstalling these, you may encounter these problems:

1. Norton 360:

extreme registry problems:
I solved these by running registy booster2

Various conflicts:
Although minor, I downloaded and used tuneup untilities which found over a hundred errors and fixed them.

Residue:
I remember having to do a system restore and download a little program which gets rid of the residue that Norton leaves behind.

2. Nero:

After uninstalling Nero (I had to uninstall it because it conflicted with Vista) I realised that my cd/dvd drive was not working and was missing. After looking through the forums I found an answer by editing some values in the registry with Reg Edit. Apparently uninstalling Nero, deleted and reset these values.

NB. In the short period between changing antivirus progs, I managed to catch a virus! A 5 in 1 trojan! Well that took me 3 days to get rid of, but I persisted and got rid of it in the end!

Edited by musical_tiger29, 13 April 2008 - 02:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:13 PM

When changing antivirus programs, the best way is to download the one you want.... then disconnect from the Internet. Disable and uninstall the problem antivirus, deleting all it's program folders. Then run the installer and set-up for the new antivirus. Go back online and download the current definitions.

Sorry you had such a hassle!

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:46 AM

I'd suggest using the Norton Removal Tool ( http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039 ) to rid yourself of Nortan remnants. I'd don't advise the use of a registry cleaner/booster as they've been known to corrupt systems frequently.

Here's a link for the Nero Clean Tools ( http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-cleantools.html )

Edited by usasma, 14 April 2008 - 11:05 AM.
Used DaChew's link for Nero Clean Tools

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 musical_tiger29

musical_tiger29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for your advice! Yes in fact that was the program i used to get rid of the remnants.

#5 Guest_RiceoRony_*

Guest_RiceoRony_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:37 PM

Wow we're in the same boat.

Norton 360 came preinstalled on my laptop too and when I uninstalled it, I had MASSIVE registry corruption in the terms of all programs had their uninstall ability removed via the Programs and Features settings in the Control Panel.

However, anything I installed AFTER the day I uninstalled Norton 360 was able to be uninstalled via highliting the program in Programs and Features.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users