Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Fast Help .. I Dont Know Whats Going On Here!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 duey307

duey307

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:02 PM

Well first off im running windows XP media center 2005 on a year old HP dv9000 laptop .. I have 10 Mbps cable hard wired .. So last night my computer was running slow so i just wanted to do a quick speed test on it.. I go to speedtest.net .. So usually its around 14 mbps ( 14000 kbps ) down 2 mbps up But it was 900 down and cant remember up, a few hours ago, now the speeds are back up but there is one thing that still confuses and really worries me ... If you look at the site real quick ( for those that dont know it ) to see what im talking about it might be easier to understand.. When u run your speed test it automatically locates your closest server ( which for me is MPLS/ ST PAUL in minnesota, I Live in Superior WI which is right on the MN/WI border then has a man figure that goes to where i am located which is right at the tip of lake superior... But now it says my closest server is in Saginaw Michigan And so am I , and i believe my ip has changed also because when i look at my recently used ip addresses in speedtest.net it gives me two , one says My current ip which has all the michigan results ....

The other ip address has all the minnesota test results ...

So my question is am i at risk or is someone on my computer somehow?? The test obviously says my ip has changed because the main one now is all the michigan results.. Im so confused i hope someone can understand this and help me out .. thanks much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 musical_tiger29

musical_tiger29

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:22 PM

I'm not that much into internet settings etc but it does sound as if this comes from your actual internet provider, maybe they have changed servers or such. Have you been in cantact with them to see if they have made any changes? Maybe they hold all the answers!

#3 duey307

duey307
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:28 PM

i did call them and they said that i was getting a far away server line .. like 2 states away.. But it really scares me that someone might be able to be on my computer or getting into my accounts... Now im starting to worry.. my isp said to try and call microsoft but they want 60 bux to talk to me, so my only option is this forum now, since i know there are some very smart computer ppl in here , anyone might have an idea :thumbsup:

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:41 PM

i don't really understand the speedtest thing but its not unusual for your ip to change if your internet service provider (ISP) uses dynamic ip's . maybe your ISP is having trouble (since the slow down)
you could call them to find out. maybe speedtest server buggy. if you feel your computer has been compromised , scan for
virus(trojans) ,
rootkits http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-anti-rootkit/
spyware http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

#5 duey307

duey307
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:05 PM

i don't really understand the speedtest thing but its not unusual for your ip to change if your internet service provider (ISP) uses dynamic ip's . maybe your ISP is having trouble (since the slow down)
you could call them to find out. maybe speedtest server buggy. if you feel your computer has been compromised , scan for
virus(trojans) ,
rootkits http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-anti-rootkit/
spyware http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Yea i dont know if u did the test, but all it usally does is shows a pic of the us , locates the closest server to you then places a pin on your location which you can see.. Which my location is duluth MN and run on a mpls st paul server ... Now for some reason my server is in michigan and so is MY location.. Which makes me think some one in michigan might be logged onto my acct , computer or something like that .. So at this point its a big privacy scare right now :thumbsup:

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

ok i did the test and i see the little man
did you ask ISP why you get "far away server"
is your connection hardwired , wireless, or satelite

#7 duey307

duey307
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:24 PM

ok i did the test and i see the little man
did you ask ISP why you get "far away server"
is your connection hardwired , wireless, or satelite

i asked them and they had no answer .. all there servers in my location are up and running fine.. I am hard wired ( cable modem ) .. I cant for the life of me figure out why im located so far away.. Im sure when u did your test the little man was standing in what ever city your in not 600 miles away lol

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

The server could have possibly been down. Did you try pinging it?
Ping command
Are you behind a router?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 duey307

duey307
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

The server could have possibly been down. Did you try pinging it?
Ping command
Are you behind a router?

i did nt try to ping it yet , and i am not on a router , ( if thats what you were asking ) Sorry guys im terrible w computers.... also what do i type when i want to ping the server in the command prompt

#10 duey307

duey307
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:38 PM

i ping d a few sites... www.charter.com ( my isp ) and www.yahoo.com .. all sent and recieved... God i hope noone has access to my acct or computer :thumbsup:

#11 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

when you do speedtest does it correctly identify your isp
you can also check ip's at
http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp
to see if they belong to your isp
it sounds to me like your isp is routing traffic to another server for whatever reason. maybe the server you normally use has been attacked and they don't want to admit it to customers.
put your mind at ease and do a virus scan and run the free rootkit scan

#12 duey307

duey307
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

when you do speedtest does it correctly identify your isp
you can also check ip's at
http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp
to see if they belong to your isp
it sounds to me like your isp is routing traffic to another server for whatever reason. maybe the server you normally use has been attacked and they don't want to admit it to customers.
put your mind at ease and do a virus scan and run the free rootkit scan

thank u very much.. I talked to them again and the only thing they said is that ther on a dynamic server and that the ip will change because of that , but no answer as to why im being directed to a server 2 states away with a location there too.. But i ll try a few more tests , thanks again ,matt

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:08 PM

I don't know what I was thinking when I said to ping the address. That's basically what Speed test does. You can
Pathping which will show you how you're being rerouted
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 duey307

duey307
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:17 PM

I don't know what I was thinking when I said to ping the address. That's basically what Speed test does. You can
Pathping which will show you how you're being rerouted

god that looks like chinese writing to me :thumbsup: .. I could to it ( i think ) but wouldnt understand a thing ... How bout you tell me what to do and ill do it.. :flowers: .. Thats the only way that im going to get this .. Thanks again guys .. Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users