Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Stick - Pro For Problems?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 musical_tiger29

musical_tiger29

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:05 PM

Hi,
I have recently purchased a bluetooth headset and needless to say, installing it wasn't straight forward and created loads of conflicts. (my husband installed it, so I don't know exactly what transpired during setup), but after giving up and uninstalling it, when I went to restart the computer, it searched my memory stick drive, (light turned on) then windows crashed. I did all the usual proceedures, system restore, msconfig etc but windows still crashes after the memory stick light comes on.I have booted in safe mode and disbled it (mem stick pro) temporarily until I manage to find out what is causing the conflict. Windows loads perfectly now so I suspect it might be a corrupt driver... Any ideas? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:45 PM

Hello.

I'm not sure uninstalling the headset software is related.

First thing you would want to do with any problems involving external drives is try to reformat. Of course, you will need to backup the data first. If this is not possible, post back and we can try to figure something else out.
  • Plug in your memory stick.
  • Double click the My Computer icon on your desktop.
  • Right click on the drive that is your memory stick and select Format.
  • A window will pop-up. Uncheck Quick Format.
  • Hit Start and OK the warning that says the data will be erased.
With Regards,
The Panda

#3 musical_tiger29

musical_tiger29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:14 PM

It is the actual drive that is not detected not the stick. When i go into my computer, the drive is not displayed. I suspected that it was caused by the uninstall, because my husband said something about assigning that particular drive to the bluetooth by mistake.

Edited by musical_tiger29, 13 April 2008 - 02:17 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

Totally uninstall it and re-assign the drive letters to the correct ones
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844
Reinstall per directions and if it wants you to give it a drive letter, assign it one like m or n
Don't forget, like any other drive, it has to be formatted
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users