Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Once I Get My Pc Cleaned Up What Is The Best Protection To Get Going Forward?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ViviNYC

ViviNYC

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

Hi everyone!

I thought AVG was a best but alas I'm infected w/ a trojan.

Once I'm clear, what is the best protection going forward??

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:04 PM

Don't give up on AVG yet. There is no such thing as the perfect AV program. And new viruses aren't usually brought to anyone's attention until after they've been unleashed (If they weren't turned loose, how would anyone know about them?).

One thing I strongly reccomend is that, in addition to AVG, you install a firewall (Zone Alarm has a free version available), an anti-adware program (AdAware, for example), and an anti-spware program like Spybot. I use all of those, and I also have SpywareBlaster installed, which is supposed to block spyware from ever reaching your machine. I can't vouch for its effectiveness, though.

I may be paranoid, but I've only had a couple of infections in the last eight years. And I like to go to dangerous places. :thumbsup:

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:13 PM

Having a good protection is the key :thumbsup: No combination is 100% foolproof so just keep that in mind. Here is what I use;

AVG Anti-Virus - Spyware Terminator - SpywareBlaster - SUPERAntiSpyware - AVG Anti-Rootkit
COMODO Firewall PRO - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - Mozilla Firefox with NoScript

Using an alternate web browser is also a good choice to make as IE tends to get targeted by spyware more than another browser like Firefox.

If you have any other questions, please post them :flowers:

Regards,
David.

#4 ViviNYC

ViviNYC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:37 PM

Thanks guys! I thought having too many programs wasn't good, but I'm following the experts!

Thank you for responding.

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:46 AM

Yes your welcome :thumbsup:

Sort of: Having multiple AV Real-Time engines on at the same time is bad. The same with Firewalls and Anti-Spyware apps :flowers:

Regards,
David.

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:46 AM

be aware that poster has an active log here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry795051 :thumbsup:

#7 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:11 PM

Personally, I won't allow any extra toolbars or "helpers" to violate my browser. If HJT catches one, out it goes. Open windows for cyber-terrorists.

#8 ViviNYC

ViviNYC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:43 AM

Yes your welcome :thumbsup:

Sort of: Having multiple AV Real-Time engines on at the same time is bad. The same with Firewalls and Anti-Spyware apps :flowers:

Regards,
David.

Don't they ALL run in the background?

#9 ViviNYC

ViviNYC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:45 AM

Personally, I won't allow any extra toolbars or "helpers" to violate my browser. If HJT catches one, out it goes. Open windows for cyber-terrorists.

Good to know! :thumbsup:

#10 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:49 AM

I suggest you periodically do some additional scanning of your computer. Free on-demand scanners that can be downloaded and run periodically (frequency really depends, in my opinion, on how many users of the computer and what users are doing on the web) Two such scanners are:

SUPERantispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

If you decide to download and use these be sure to keep them updated.

I would also echo previous posters who recommend installing a firewall and keeping your AVG software updated. Adding a firewall is a key piece of defense against malware and there are a number of good and free ones out there.

#11 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:48 AM

be aware that poster has an active log here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry795051

Thanks for that ruby1 :thumbsup:

ViviNYC, I would just like to point out not to make any system changes or go installing/removing anything until the person guiding you throughout your HijackThis log has said your all clean. This is because if you make any changes, they will make it confusing for you and SifuMike in your case trying to work out what happened :flowers: So just rememebr anything that is recommended here to make it wait until your log is done :trumpet:

Only if you have their real-time options turned on. If you have lets say, SUPERAntiSpyware "installed" on your computer, it doesn't mean that it has it's real-time features enabled. Same with AVG. Just because it is installed it doesn't mean the real-time protection is on, however when you install AVG it is set by default that they Real-Time is on. Generally, you can check which real-time engines are on by looking at they system tray and seeing if they say real-time or resident shield activated. Another wya is to actually go into all your programs and see which ones have the real-tiem turned on but this is not very efficient :inlove:.

Regards,
David.

#12 Snarl

Snarl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

I use;

Desktop
Kaspersky Antivirus
SuperAntiSpyware
Comodo Firewall Pro Ver 3

Laptop
Eset NOD32 Antivirus
SuperAntiSpyware
Comodo Firewall Pro Ver 3

Opera Browser on Both

Never had a problem, virus, malware, trojan etc.. so for me a good combo

#13 ViviNYC

ViviNYC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:22 PM

be aware that poster has an active log here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry795051

Thanks for that ruby1 :thumbsup:

ViviNYC, I would just like to point out not to make any system changes or go installing/removing anything until the person guiding you throughout your HijackThis log has said your all clean. This is because if you make any changes, they will make it confusing for you and SifuMike in your case trying to work out what happened :flowers: So just rememebr anything that is recommended here to make it wait until your log is done :trumpet:

Only if you have their real-time options turned on. If you have lets say, SUPERAntiSpyware "installed" on your computer, it doesn't mean that it has it's real-time features enabled. Same with AVG. Just because it is installed it doesn't mean the real-time protection is on, however when you install AVG it is set by default that they Real-Time is on. Generally, you can check which real-time engines are on by looking at they system tray and seeing if they say real-time or resident shield activated. Another wya is to actually go into all your programs and see which ones have the real-tiem turned on but this is not very efficient :inlove:.

Regards,
David.

This is helpful David, thanks!

#14 ViviNYC

ViviNYC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:55 PM

Okay, My final solution is this

I kept the Free AVG antivirus
I paid for Real Time spyware protection via SuperAntiSpyware
I have the zone alarm firewall.

I hope I'm good to go!

#15 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:07 PM

Yes that is quite a good combination :thumbsup: Excellent I must say, also, you won't find your computer going slow because SAS doesn't use much resources :flowers:

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users