Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 8 Free

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:41 AM

I was just wondering if there will be an AVG 8 Free or have we come to the end of the line ?
I have been trying the paid version.It really is good.
The only snag is that in the UK the price is £30 elsewhere it is the equivalent of£20.
I really find that annoying.
Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

are you discussing avg antivirusFREE program?if so which version are you presently running ?

was just wondering if there will be an AVG 8 Free or have we come to the end of the line ?

what do you mean by this?

if you are XP? then avg 7.5 will continue to be available for you

#3 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

Let me explain
At the present time there is AVG 7.5 paid version and AVG 7.5 Free.I am talking about Anti Virus.
There is also AVG 8.This is a paid version,although it can be tried free for 30 days.
This will,i suspect,replace version 7.5 in due course.
What i was trying to ascertain is ,will there be a version 8 Free.
I am currently putting version 8 through it's paces.It is a real beauty.It is more than just an Anti Virus.
Well worth trying,i think.
Hope this answers your question

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:48 PM

I for one have no idea; but try contacting them ?

http://www.grisoft.com/ww.contacts

I do know that avg av7.5 are expected to withdraw compatibility support for win 98se computers soon so those of us on that will have to do a rethink :thumbsup:

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

avg 8 has added a nice tool called linkscanner, the problem is it sets your default search to yahoo, this is a bad move for a paid program that shouldn't rely on extra dollars to pay for itself

Also to be noted is that AVG Anti-Spyware will no longer be supported as a standalone product after the end of the year. The anti-spyware product will be bundled into AVG anti-virus 8.0. Those who purchased two-year licenses for AVG-AS or, even worse, lifetime licenses, and who currently use an anti-virus superior to AVG anti-virus, (that covers a lot of territory) will have no recourse unless they want to downgrade to AVG anti-virus in order to have access to AVG's anti-spyware product. Frankly, I think that would be pointless as AVG-AS is no longer the product it once was... so, it would make no sense to downgrade to AVG-AV in order to keep using a defanged AVG-AS. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would hope the company rethinks this
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:11 PM

So does that mean that if we use AVG AS as a stand alone scanner, we'll have to ditch it? If so, maybe it's time to start talking about alternatives. No need to wait until the last minute.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:33 PM

AVG is becoming Norton's or McAfee, and there's nothing wrong with that, I have read some very enlightning posts where we are encouraged to support the antimalware industry with our pocketbooks, I agree

Many people need a total protection package, doesn't do them much good when they start P2P and installing malware deliberately tho
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 vjmailservice

vjmailservice

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:38 PM

Hey Guys, please Check this out

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-an...us-free-edition

to anyone who may stumble upon this post by mistake.. AVg has got a free version and its effectively hidden..

one of the best AVG versions I've ever seen.

#9 Beenthere

Beenthere

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:51 AM

AVg has got a free version and its effectively hidden..

what do you wanna say with this?

also, this thread has been 'dead' for a month

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users