Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Found In C:\system Volume Information \restore

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

Avast has found a Win32:Trojan-gen. The file name is
I:\System Volume Information\_restore{E2EB0333-CBB9-47BF-B045-7A650FAE92FD}\RP218\A0028971.exe
Do I need to turn off system restore and then delete file? Avast has found a virus that I deleted and this must be the restore backup for it. I have xp pro.

Thanks

Edited by baso3456, 13 April 2008 - 10:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:48 PM

You don't need to (or perhaps you shouldn't) turn off system restore before you delete the file. What you need to do is make sure you scan your system with multiple antispyware/antivirus scanners to increase chances of spotting an infection and removing it. If you have already done so and have no reason to suspect further infection, you can safely delete all the previous restore points and create a new one. To do this, turn system restore off then on by following the instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405.

And now create a new restore point:
http://www.winxptutor.com/createrp.htm

Edited by Juha, 14 April 2008 - 07:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users