Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crop & Zoom

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rated sXe

Rated sXe

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:37 AM

A lot of people ask me this a lot and I really don;t have a good answer for them.

Does anyone know if there is a program or if Photoshop can be used to crop a certain area of a picture and than magnify cleanly with no pixelation?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:19 AM

I can't think of any program that can enlarge, without pixilation.

You have just so much information stored in those images.
When you try to enlarge an image, you're basically pulling the pixels apart, and the program has to "guess" what is to occupy the additional space between the pixels.
Most programs aren't very good at "guessing".
I imagine, there are some high-end (expensive) image editing programs that are better at "guessing", than other programs, but I can't say for sure.
Even then, I'd imagine the results would be mediocre, at best, depending on the level of magnification.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

Nope...maybe make it bigger and use photoshops sharpen tool.. but I doubti t will do anything

#4 Rated sXe

Rated sXe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:08 PM

Yeah, I kinda figured that. I just wanted to make sure, thanks for the reassurance!

lol

tg1911 did you just copy and paste that answer?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:16 PM

Yes I did.
It's part of, one of my canned speeches.
I have several "cans", for questions that are asked often.
Keeps me from having to type, which I do, very slowly. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:44 PM

Photoshop does an 'alrighttttt' job of it.
you can buy plugins for photoshop that will do a better job though

crop the area you want magnified and hit ok, then go up to Adjustments >> Image Size and change it to how you want there. You may have to click constrain proportions to keep it even though :thumbsup:
try not to overdo it though.

#7 Rated sXe

Rated sXe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:24 PM

Oh... cool.

Thanks for that tip.

#8 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:45 PM

no problemo :thumbsup:

Let me know how it goes, if you try it, i'm interested. I don't usually resize things

#9 splodge

splodge

• Banned
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:29 AM

try this tut' not perfect but if photoshop is all you have this is the best practice,
http://www.bluetorials.com/free%20stuff/ps...ml#SizePhotoWeb

How to Size a Photo for the Web
When you need to resize a photo for the web, it's important to preserve as much of the quality of the original image as possible. Maintain the highest image quality by following the steps in this tip. Learn to crop, change the resolution and resize a photo for the web, while minimizing the number of times it's processed in Photoshop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users