Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb: Motherboard Or Pci?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Slackenerny

Slackenerny

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:47 AM

I have a few problems re. USB and hope if someone could be able to help.

I'm running XP SP2 with the latest updates installed. The motherboard is ASUS P4B533E. It comes with 3 USB hubs (6 ports altogether). On one of the ports I've plugged in an USB Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro. Sometimes when I plug in an USB device (like an external USB harddrive, on a different port on the motherboard, that is not on the ports with my USB keyboard) it will disconnect on its own (you can hear that sound Windows does when an USB device is plugged and unplugged) for no particular reason and then very soon afterwards (about 4 or so seconds) it will reconnect itself again. Sometimes this will keep on happening if I maintain the USB device to be plugged on the port until a balloon pops up on the system tray saying the data transfer speed of the USB device has to be dropped to USB 1.1. The problem with this is if I want to do a harddrive backup and it disconnects itself in the middle of the process it is very annoying. Recently I've also bought a Dlink DWL-G122 USB Wifi adapter and this connecting/disconnecting problem reappeared and I'm unable to maintain a reliable internet connection. I've tried reinstalling drivers (about a million times) and unchecking the box under the power management tab in the USB settings in device manager. I suspect that this problem is to do with my USB hubs on the motherboard unable to maintain a steady power supply. Does anyone have any idea as to why this happens, please??

I've heard from a friend that a PCI to USB card often works better and is more reliable. Any substance to this claim?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:40 AM

Does this happen if you change to a different USB port?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:53 AM

I had USB problems off and on. I added a PCI-USB card. Not only did I get more ports, but it fixed the one giving me problems. I recommend it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Slackenerny

Slackenerny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:01 PM

It happens to all 6 ports, although somehow I feel two of the ports perform a tad better (i.e. it doesn't disconnect as quickly).

Does this happen if you change to a different USB port?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:07 PM

Garmanma's suggestion is a good work around to this problem, and is not very expensive to do. If you have a spare PCI slot I would go for it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 GaryT85

GaryT85

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:09 AM

sometimes this can be a power issue, and adding a PCI card to run the slots draws it power from a different source...kind of

they are cheap as chips anyway, so you might as well see if it helps :thumbsup:

#7 Slackenerny

Slackenerny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:15 AM

Thanks very much folks. I think I'll go for it, since price of USB/PCI card isn't very dear, worth a shot. I think it's more to do with my inertia to go shopping. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users