Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protecting My Virgin 'puter!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tellmemore

tellmemore

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:41 AM

Hello BC,

I just got an internet connection and I have no anti-virus/spyware or firewall on my comp. I dont know how to get them..
help me prevent my comp from getting infected.

It's still virgin, you see! Well, I hope it is.

Amit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:04 AM

Two hard, and fast rules:
1. Only One Antivirus providing real time protection.
2. Only One Firewall running (preferably, anything besides Windows firewall, as it only provides inbound traffic protection, and not outbound traffic protection).

Go to our Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic, under Antivirus Applications and pick only 1 Antivirus.

Under the Firewalls heading, pick only 1 Firewall.

Under the Spyware Removal heading, pick at least 2 Anti-malware programs.
I recommend AVG Anti-Spyware, Spywareblaster, and SuperAntiSpyware.

I also recommend you use a browser, other than Internet Explorer.
Under the Web Browsers heading, pick one that is not based on the Internet Explorer engine.
I, and a lot of our members, use Firefox.

All the programs on the list, are safe to use.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:32 AM

Hello BC,

I just got an internet connection and I have no anti-virus/spyware or firewall on my comp. I dont know how to get them..
help me prevent my comp from getting infected.

It's still virgin, you see! Well, I hope it is.

Amit.

how ARE you connecting to the internet? who is your ISP? are you sure there is no antivirus protection within that connection ?

and which version of Windows have you got?

#4 tellmemore

tellmemore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:51 AM

Hi friends..

I have just got an I'net connection (I dint have one for a long time) and installed Avast! Antivirus , ZA Firewall, SUPERAntiSpyware and SpywareBlaster - all free edition - on my computer, as advised.

I installed and ran Avast as described in Avast guide here in BC and then moved the results to "chest". I had no idea what I was doing, was just following my instincts..one of the files did not move to chest, I don't know which one.

My computer seems badly infected..whenever I double-click on any local drive to open it, it gets restarted I have to use the address bar to open them and one more problem is when it is - the computer, that is - switched on , during the boot process it gives me a process that "please insert boot drive"

I have just got an I'net connection (I dint have one for a long time) and installed Avast! Antivirus , ZA Firewall, SUPERAntiSpyware and SpywareBlaster - all free edition - on my computer, as advised.

I installed and ran Avast as described in Avast guide here in BC and then moved the results to "chest". I had no idea what I was doing, was just following my instincts..one of the files did not move to chest, I don't know which one.

My computer seems badly infected..whenever I double-click on any local drive to open it, it gets restarted I have to use the address bar to open them and one more problem is.. when it is - the computer, that is - switched on , during the boot process it gives me a message that "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" , I press Ctrl+Alt+Del after I get this message and it gets restarted and then runs properly..

I also had a problem with Yahoo messenger while the Avast was still running, whenever the person I was talking to would send me an IM it will log me out and get closed...same would happen if I would try to talk to the person from inside yahoomail.

Below are some other informations about my computer as advised by Belarc..

Operating System

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)

Processor

2.53 gigahertz Intel Celeron
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Not hyper-threaded

Drives

79.88 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
60.02 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

System Model

KOBIAN P4VM800M7 1.0
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Main Circuit Board

Board: KOBIAN P4VM800M7 1.0
Bus Clock: 532 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 080011 09/13/200

Memory Modules

224 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM0' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes

c: (FAT32 on drive 0) 9.43 GB 4.00 GB free
d: (FAT32 on drive 0) 20.93 GB 20.44 GB free
e: (FAT32 on drive 0) 20.93 GB 18.26 GB free
f: (FAT32 on drive 0) 17.06 GB 7.92 GB free
g: (FAT32 on drive 0) 11.53 GB 9.40 GB free

Well, I guess I have included every detail that is required to get help. Still, if you think I missed something, please feel free to ask me.

Long Live BC.
Amit.

#5 tellmemore

tellmemore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:32 AM

I also want to add to the above that my PC is too slow.

Edited by tellmemore, 15 September 2009 - 03:37 AM.

#6 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:30 AM

Im not an adviser but i suggest you try downloading malwarebytes, update it and run a full scan :thumbsup:

hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users