Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Best Computer

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 GokuDude

GokuDude

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:51 PM

I literally have no budget you can give me. My uncle recently bought a building and is renting out rooms, so he told me I can build my own computer after months of torturing my family about it.

He does build computers himself, but I know if I let him he will get me the cheapest things eh can..

I am fairly new, and have been researching building computers for about a week now..

ALL I KNOW is..

I want an
Intel QX9775 3.2GHZ Processor
About 4x1GB Ram, 2000MHZ or 4x2GB Ram, 1600+ MHZ
and I dont know if I can do this, but is it possible to have CrossFire and SLI? (Reason I ask that is because I never see a computer with both, just SLI or CrossFire, I honestly dont even know if they have to do with the same thing)

I want to have as many processors as possible, as many graphix cards.. As many as I can get my hands on..

I am looking to get my parts off TigerDirect.Ca, because I am in Canada, easier shipping
But if there is a part you cant find on there and its on another website, please say so..

I WOUD APRECIATE ANY HELP.. I AM GOING TO BE BUYING ALL THE COMPONENTS IN UNDER A WEEK...

Also, if anyone would help me learn about computers, I LOVE TO LEARN AND IM WILLING TO LISTEN..
My E-Mail is: Pm me..

I am very greatful ^^ I love computers, am learning programming but I suck at it.. I thank you.

EDIT: I need it for gaming; mainly.

Mod Edit: E-mail address was removed for your safety. Please, do not post your E-mail address in an open forum. This could lead to a lot more SPAM in your inbox, than you may want. ~tg

Edited by GokuDude, 13 April 2008 - 02:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SatanicWarmaster

SatanicWarmaster

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:25 AM

SLI and crossfire are for graphics cards. SLI = nvidia, and crossfire = amd. And no you cant have sli AND crossfire graphics cards together. But i think crossfire does apply to some other components like you can get an amd motherboard and some amd made ram and put them in crossfire, but i dont think it makes a difference, i think its just a corny market ploy to make you think its cool or better or something.

The best graphics card you can get right now is a 9800gx2, which you can put two together into SLI.

DDR3 ram is the newest kind of ram out and supposedly the fastest.

Also if you want to buy expensive video card you should get a big monitor (above 30'') because most of the new cards dont really make much of a difference at all until you turn up the resolution you are playing on, which you need a larger monitor for that to work. Then those cards really make a difference.

Im also building a computer and i've been researching it for the past 10 weeks so i've learned alot and i would also like to see what other peoples opinions are here too ^_^

#3 GokuDude

GokuDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:16 AM

Thank you for your reply. So should I buy a 790i SLI Motherboard? Also, I have a 42" HD LCD Screen, and I am looking to buy another screen.. What do you recommend?

I personally and honestly see no difference in HD and Plasma and all that.. But whats the best for gaming?

Also I want DDR3 mainly because I want to be future proof, I know DDR2 is a load cheaper and not much different.

I looked around and I cant seem to put 2 CPUS in a 790i Motherboard, but the one that does allow me to put 2 in it doesnt let me do much about gaming.. So.. What should I do?

#4 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

If this is your very first build I would recommend keeping it as simple as possible. first of all to have a great gaming system you don't need the best of the best. unless your planning to take over the world. also just to be clear, crossfire is ATI not amd. at one time (not very long ago) AMD worked best with Nvidia(SLi) but recent changes in architecture ( and corporate alliances) have changed that. ATI(crossfire) and AMD are now the power couple. Also SLI and Crossfire refer to how you use the graphics processors in your system. Usually it means you have 2 identical graphics cards that are plugged into the PCI-E ports on the motherboard running together at the same time efficiently( to put it very simply). If you use ATI graphics cards the you would be running them in crossfire mode and for Nvidia it would be in SLi mode. As far as processors go, I seriously doubt that you would need a dual or quad processor motherboard. I looked through Tiger directs website and as far as I can tell there aren't any boards for crossfire OR SLi that even use more than one processor. Since the intro of dual and quad core processors, theres really no need. Also when building your own rig you should consider buying your Mobo, and your processor in a bundle, that way your sure that the Mobo and processor are compatible wth one another. Some bundles even include the RAM. Of course the quality of the system will depend on how much you spend on parts and how well you know your system. I would reccomend you spend some time reading about system building and what has worked for others. Here are a couple of links you may find helpful

http://www.buildyourowncomputer.net/learntobuild.html
http://www.mysuperpc.com/
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

Just an end note, In regard to your big screen TV, It's not a pc monitor, I would be VERY careful hooking it up to a pc. Make sure that whatever monitor you choose is just that, a MONITOR, not a TV.
I build all of my computers now because its cheaper and I now my pc from the inside out so I think what your doing is smart. Just make sure you know what your putting together before you start buying parts. I also use Tiger direct as well as www.Newegg.com for all my parts.

Edited by zedsed420, 13 April 2008 - 12:30 PM.

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

Windows 7 Professional x64 dual boot Ubuntu 12.10

#5 GokuDude

GokuDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:21 PM

Thank you for your reply; I have been to 2 of those websites already. I understand when you say I should keep it simple, but I know a few people that can help me if I get confused. I have 2 friends that I can ask, but to be completely honest they would get jealous and ruin it, and my uncle would just get the cheapest things he can find.

I want to get the best parts so its future proof to be honest. I also want to get water cooling; and that brings me on to a question, is it wise to have many fans and to use water cooling? About your monitor remark, I know that the bigger it is the worse it will look, but firstly it doesnt make a difference to me. Secondly I understand what you are saying. I am going to get a monitor, and if I ever want to play on a tv ill just hook it up on my 42"

To end this reply, I must ask.. Whats a "Mobo"?; Thank you

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

Mobo = motherboard
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:16 PM

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as "future proof". I don't mean any disrespect by that, it's just that technology can (and has MANY times) change literally overnight which is why I have tried to lean more towards expandability and upgradeability to my system. I kept it simple because it is much easier to maintain than a complicated system. Moreover, I have learned that less can go wrong with a simpler config. This is what I built recently,

328 SILVER ATX MID TOWER COMPUTER CASE w/ 420w PS

MSI K9AG Neo2-Digital AMD 690G Socket AM2 Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - OEM

OCZ Platinum Revision-2 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 x 1024MB)

ThermalTake TMG A3
CPU Cooling Fan for AMD AM2/K8

Samsung 200GB SERIAL ATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G

WD Caviar 80GB SATA-3G HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G

NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT 256MB PCIe w/DVI/TV-OUT

Lite-ON 20X DVDRW SATA LH-20A1S-12 Int No SW OEM

SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM

Rosewill RCR-102 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader

TP-Link TL-WN651G Wireless G Network Adapter - 108Mbps, 802.11g, PCI

Leadtek WinFast HDTV Cinema PCI TV Tuner - ATSC, NTSC, DVR, All-in-1 Remote, Video Converter, EPG, Direct Burn-to-Disc, iPod/PSP Support

Logitech USB cordless keyboard and mouse
Posted Image
Its not the fanciest or the most expensive but it will fly through any game or program I have thrown at it. I also have many friends who are qualified hardware and software technicians. They gave me the same advice I am now passing on to you. I spent a mere 500$ for this system and had it built and running in less than 4 hours. It sounds like you have a strong desire to build a quality system for yourself and you are asking good questions. Keep it up and soon enough you'll be able to confidently help someone else who is on their first build too. (and you'll have a system that you can be proud of.

P.S. cooler is always better. If you can afford, Liquid cooling is the way to go. Also look into refridgeration as an option though I don't know much about them.

Edited by zedsed420, 13 April 2008 - 03:47 PM.

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

#8 GokuDude

GokuDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:09 PM

Thank you for your reply. Your computer looks nice. I guess you are right when there is no "Future Proof" But I want to get a 790i Motherboard because im sure DDR3 is going to have many new things to it.. Right now my computer can take any game I throw at it.. I bought it from a store though, its 2Gb RAM, 3.0 GHZ, 7400Le GeForce Graphix card.. Its really good :thumbsup: I can upgrade it if I wanted to, but I want to completely build a new computer.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Can someone recommend a good case please.

Edited by GokuDude, 13 April 2008 - 07:55 PM.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

Well if money is no object I would recommend this system I absolutely love that case. As soon as I can talk my self into the 200 price tag I will be getting one. As for just a case recommendation I would go with a Antec 900 if you are building a gaming rig. It has 2 x 120mm fans and is the base for many Manufactured gaming rigs.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 GokuDude

GokuDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:09 PM

Thats only 34 hundred dollars, I swear to god I have that in my pocket right now, I just went to western union and got my money it was 3,500 dollars.. Also I mentioned I wanted DDR3, but I thank you because it gives me an idea.

As for the case, I really like it, but can I install water cooling into it?

#11 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:27 PM

The system sneakycyber recomended appears to have liquid cooling already installed

#12 GokuDude

GokuDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:27 PM

You guys are nice.. Than kyou

So so far I have

QX9770 3.2 GHZ Processor
790I SLI Motherboard
About 4x1GB Ram, 2000MHZ or 4x2GB Ram, 1600+ MHZ
2 9800Gx2 Graphix Cards
Some Case

Anything else you recommend?

#13 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:56 AM

If money is not a big problem and you want the best performance possible, you could set up two hard drives in a Raid 0 set up. This will make it so your computer detects the hard drives as a single disk, and split the information across both of them. Theoretically, this should double the speed, since each hard drive can split the work instead of one hard drive trying to do it by itself.

To do this you need two hard drives that have the same amount of storage capacity (say two, 250gb hard drives). They don't necessarily need to be the same exact drives, but two identical drives usually gives the best performance. The two, 250gb hard drives will be detected as a single 500gb hard drive on your computer. The only flaw to this is if one of the drives dies, then you lose all the information on both of them.

I've never set up raid before, but if you're interested maybe someone could give you some more help about it. You could also use four hard drives if you wanted to.

You could also get a Raptor hard drive, but from what I've heard you can't really tell that big of a difference, and they are very expensive. I think the Raid 0 option would be better.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#14 GokuDude

GokuDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:45 PM

My computer so far: Tell me if I should change something

1 COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

1 EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 ATX Intel Motherboard

2 EVGA 01G-P3-N891-AR GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

1 SILVERSTONE DA1200 ATX 12V 2.3 & EPS 12V 1200W Power Supply

1 Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Yorkfield 3.2GHz LGA 775 136W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569QX9770

2 Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864BE2009

2 Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive

1 Logitech G11 Silver & Black USB Standard Gaming Keyboard

1 SAMSUNG SyncMaster 305T Black 30" 6ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor

1 Logitech G9 Black 5 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

1 LITE-ON 2X Blu-ray Disc Triple DVD Burner Black SATA Model LH-2B1S

1 Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series

1 Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD

1 Thermalright Ultra-120 CPU Cooling Heatsink

7 AeroCool XtremeTurbine-Black 120mm Case Fan

1 Creative Inspire P7800 90 Watts 7.1 Speaker

#15 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:13 PM

In my opinion, too much stuff is in it. And you could probably get something not as good as that, but will still do what ever you want it to do with ease for half the price.. (Correct me if im wrong people)

When people tell people something along the lines of I want the most expensive computer in the world, with the top of everything. I bet you wont even use/notice that you are actually using half that hardware.. (Correct me if im wrong again), but In my opinion, its like telling a person to buy a mansion, when all they own is a bed tv and sofa........

Also, money is no option, thats only 34 hundred dollars, if its only 34 hundred, sounding as if you could spend 10 times that much, then go to nasa or one of the big animated movie/production companies and buy one of their super computers.. lol

Sorry for the rant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users