Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Is Blank

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cinders19

cinders19

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:32 PM

I am having problems ever since I did a "restore your computer to an earlier time" on my windowsXP service pack 2, E-Machine desktop. When I tried to un- do that restore, my system restore only displays a blank page and it says done in bottom right corner. I get the same blank page when I go to windows automatic update and McAfee security center. I keep getting an icon in my taskbar from McAfee saying my puter isn't protected. when I click on certain links on a webpage it does not go. I downloaded firefox since then (via a thumbdrive and my laptop) and it behaves better but it still won't do restore or windows updates. This makes me think it may be a windows problem. I have plenty of room on my disk, but was having allot of problems with anything adobe related before I did a restore. I'm at the end of ideas and would have already tried the dreaded repair with the disks but forgot where I put them. I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Luv Ya!

Cindi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

Welcome to BC
These links might be helpful
http://www.smartcomputing.com/
http://www.worldstart.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 cinders19

cinders19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:44 PM

Thank you I tried the first one and it shows it as automatic and running. I cannot try the 2nd one because as I said when the page opens it is blank except for the top where it says system restore. I have a feeling it has something to do with the registry keys, My search (in the startup menu) was doing the same thing until after reading someone elses problems in this forum tried the malewarebytes' scan and repair and since then at least it has started working again. But alas not my system restore or windows update or McAfee link or certain hyperlinks (ones that are unknown protocol) are still pulling up a blank page.
Luv Ya!

Cindi

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:07 PM

seems like a windows issue . you must have restored to a point before macafee install and some windows updates. you need xp disk to repair or use recovery console
manual repair info here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
you could boot from a linux live cd and do the manual repair from there
you will probably have to re-install all your software afterwards
try and find the xp disk or borrow one

#5 cinders19

cinders19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

:thumbsup: Thank you both so very much for taking the time to try to help me with my puter. Still couldn't find the disks, almost used a different puters disks (mixed disk windowsxp/hp). As a last resort went to dial a fix and lo and behold it started working! :trumpet: I know I still have more work to make the system stable but feel allot less pessimistic about the road ahead. It's real nice to know there are good people out here like you two who are willing to help others. :flowers: Once again Thank you.
Luv Ya!

Cindi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users