Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Testing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 333nnn

333nnn

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:35 PM

I have two hard drives. My main drive is a 15Gig MAXTOR (8 years old); the other is a 40 Gig Western Digital (5 years old). Because they're old I decided to test them. I tried using chkdsk with Windows, but I got a message saying that the test could not be completed. I don't remember the exact wording of the message. So instead I ran PowerMax for the MAXTOR and WinDLG for the Western Digital. Both drives passed. Does this mean the drives are in good condition necessarily? Can I get a better idea of the condition of the drives from reading the test results? Are there other tests I should do like a visual inspection? My computer is an 8 year old Compaq Presario 5000. What's the availability of hard drives for my computer? Also, I'd like to make the 40 Gig drive my main drive because of its larger memory. Is switching drives difficult to do? My main drive makes noise like its running something most of the time. Could this be because my configuration is small (630MHz processor, 192MB RAM), and it can't keep up with my XP o/s? I recently ran through many antivirus programs with techies on another site and deleted at least one virus I found, but the HD is still noisy. BTW, there's a warning when running the longer test with WinDLG that says data should be backed up before running the test because data could be lost or the drive could be damaged or whatever. How true is this? Sorry about the number of questions, but my understanding of computers is rudimentary. Any replies would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:41 PM

extensive testing might kill an old drive, but it would have died soon anyway

it's a lot of work to reload or transfer your setup to the new drive for such an old computer

just the computer clean and plan on getting a newer one sometime
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users