Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dipping my toe back into the building arena

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:15 PM

Hi im very focused on the issue of building my new computer and giving my old 2.8 GHz intel to my parents(since they somehow fried theirs!)

i have built a computer before, but it was in '99 so a lot has changed. basically i'm looking for advice for where to buy and waht you guys think is the best stuff. i tinker with my comps all the time so im not concernced with being able to put it together.

I wanna have a mobo that supports pci-express and SLI so i can buy a second gfx card when they are cheapre. im leaning toward the GeForce 6800 card since it is the only card that supports sli at the moment i think

the processor should be fast obviously, maybe with 64-bit capability. does anyone know if the new dual core cpus will be compatible with today's boards? if so maybe i'll look for somethin in that upgrade path

any other suggestions? is it worth gettin a SB live card? or is onboard audio good enough? also any advice on drives and memory would be welcome

thanx in advance, this is just a prelim for me so any advice on anything would be aprreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 01:14 AM

I buy all my hardware at newegg.com. Their prices are excellent. You canalso go visit their motherboard section and sort the motherboards by popularity. Its a good way to gauge what equipment is popular and widely received as quality

These are two articles that are excellent reads and will help you in deciding what hard drives to get:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2073

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:40 AM

Again newegg.com is a great source for buying good parts at a cheap price

If your unsure on building the computer
you can check out my sites building your own pc guide.

It includes:

1. Tools You Need

2. Purchasing Parts, The Least You Should Have

3. What Operating System Is For You?

4. What You Basically Need To Build A Computer

5. Start Building!

6. Operating system

7. Making Sure It Works

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:00 AM

Dear Goth,

A lot has changed and not all for the good. The system your suggesting is very new and I only know of one successful company. ASUS. Their dual vid card mother board looks very exciting but something to keep in mind is cooling. ASUS is very bad about this; they expect you to cool their products.

Cooling should be the first thing you think about. I have about 7 fans and thats barely handling it. If you want to spend the money you are talking about, I would do research into who is doing the ram air CPU technology or maybe liquid cooled. I know HP has a ram air board but I don't recommend HP.

Now, power is everything, Antec seems to have the power supply market and I own two. Must Be 500 watts or more! If you buy a sensitive board make sure you know the power output the board can handle. Antec or any brand power supply does not regulate a pure 12 volts. They say they do but when your running a .8 volt vid card at $600 you want to be sure.

The innards are really up to speculation. Intel or Amd...Corsair or Kingston...you could read thousands of pros and cons. Who do you trust?

I am a wannabe gamer and I run a Cooler Master Cavalier case, Antec 550 Watt true power supply, ASUS P4C800-E deluxe mother board, Intel 3.2 Prescott Hyper Thread, (2) 1 GB Corsair 400 3200 XMS, ASUS AX800AGP Radeaon vid card, Cooler Master hard drive cooler, (2) Western Digital drives, Sound blaster Audigy 2 with 4.1 speakers, Vantec fan card (for vid card), Cooler Master Jet Fan for CPU, ASUS DVD/RW drives and misc. items.

All that and I run very warm. During video games I reach temps. hotter than I want.

Cooling, cooling, cooling...thats my advise.

Hope this helps,

Junkdk
Your Hardware Guide.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:02 PM

Your recommendations are based soley on the high performance gamer who plans on doing some overclocking. FOr the normal user the standard cooling is more than adequate.

#6 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:05 PM

thanks guys,
this gives me some more to work with. the one thing still on my mind that i didn't ask was, is putting the puzzle together the same as always? what i mean is installing a mobo in a case, or plunking a cpu into a zif doesnt change right. when i was still playing with my old box some people were talking about soft jumpers and other stuff handled thru the bios instead of physically on the board, which i dont beleive i could do. is that just specific to SATA HDs which i read dont use conventional jumpers like IDE/PATA? or another angle to the question, once i've assembled the hardware has ASUS or whomever i get my mobo from streamlined the setup process or should i be looknig for a good manual with my parts.

thanks up front,
peace

==errr addendum.==
junk,
i was thinking about PC power and cooling's cooler master 510 (i believe it is) so i have been forwarned about skimping on quality power. my question is how loud does your machine get with 7 fans? i couldnt think of where to put more than 3 (excluding psu fan) in my current p4 2.8. is that all for overclocking like grinler suggests? i do kinda plan on OC eventually, but not right up front.

Edited by Gothmog, 28 March 2005 - 12:10 PM.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 05:20 PM

Get a case that has extra fan spaces. Then you can mount them and plug the m into your powersupply.

For the most part it should be pretty much plug and play with setting up the computer

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:20 AM

There are some new issues - for instance, so many different types and speeds of memory. There are the new PCI Express sockets, though I haven't really seen much hardware for them yet. There are SATA drives and so on, but for the most part it's matching the equipment. Get the right processor for the socket in the motherboard, and so on. A lot of systems now use the 12v plug to the motherboad, make sure you get a power supply that has one. Maybe the best idea is to check the PC-Building magazines and find a system that sounds good, then match the components.

I agree that NewEgg has really good prices. I just ordered two 512 meg PC2100 RAM chips and got them both from NewEgg for the same price as one at Tiger Direct. Same brand, and I don't see any difference in them. Everything I've priced at both places comes up cheaper at NewEgg.

A lot of the newer cases have fans on top and on the side as well as the usual places. Some fans are temperature controlled and only run fast when things heat up, and some even have manual speed controls.

#9 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:33 PM

Dear Goth,

The Vantec Fan card is loud but works pretty good. Pushes a lot of air and keeps my vid card working. Most of the other fans are at a low hum.

I live in Florida and now facing serious heat problems with my CPU. Love the weather here but not real good for computers.

I just bought Themalright's XP-90C with a Panaflo 92mm fan. I will let you know how that works. I am really thinking on getting an external blower at this point.

I don't know what computer you want to build but you are doing the right thing by asking around first.

I did a little research on liquid cooling and see that air cooling still is better. If I had the money I would have a mini air conditioning unit hooked to my computer. Ha :thumbsup:

On a side note, I don't overclock my computer as of yet. I push theshold at regular speeds...the game graphics are awesome though. Half-life-2, Doom 3, FryCry and etc. Frycry spanked my vid card before I installed the Vantec Fan Card.

Now I get high definition graphics at any game and high speed in anything I do. After all patience is a virtue...still working on that one.

Cooling, Cooling, Cooling,

Junkdk
Your Hardware Guide.

#10 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:18 PM

Dear Goth,

After reading, I feel you may have misunderstood my fan situation. When I say I have 7 fans I mean inclusive. So I will give you a step by fan situation.

My Cooler Master case has (2) two fans, one rear and one front. My Antec power supply has (2) two fans, one bottom and one rear. My Cooler Master HDD cooler has (1) one fan, my ASUS vid card has (1) one fan, my CPU has a Cooler Master Jet (1) one fan, and my Vantec fan card has (2) two fans.

I guess thats nine...oops. Well it seems like none sometimes. You can have a million fans but flow is the most important.

AHAHAHA!

You want your computer to run right, hardware wise, get good cooling.

:thumbsup: ,

Junkdk
Your Hardware Guide.

#11 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 05:11 PM

Just an add on,

I have installed the ThermalRight XP-90C with Panaflo fan but I don't see a big difference as I hoped for.

I am going to change the 120 in the rear to a better fan. Will let you know.

junkdk
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users