Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start, Damaged Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Doyle

Kevin Doyle

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:44 PM

hey guys. Once again I come in search of help.

I was using my computer as usual tonight when i decided to takea break. I left the room and returned after about an hour and the computer was switched off. I tried to turn the comptuer back on but nothing, no sounds, no lights just nothing.

The light on the screen stayed maber, but it is not receiving any signal from the PC. It does work when i stich it on, but no signal means it reverts to amver. I didn't knock it, bash it or anything. It simply decided to turn off and not restart. I have taken it apart, had a look and nothing is out of place.

The computer is about 2 years old.

Any ideas?

Thanks all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kevin Doyle

Kevin Doyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:06 AM

Ideas anyone?

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:34 AM

Sounds like a power supply. Since you have opened the case. Unplug the 20/24 main harness from the motherboard and using a paper clip short pin 16 to pin number 19 the power supply should turn on.
Posted Image

Edited by Sneakycyber, 13 April 2008 - 11:34 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:12 PM

When you turn on the computer do any of the fans run, or any of the LEDs light up? One thing to try is to unplug the cord from the wall outlet for about fifteen minutes, sometimes things will happen on the house circuit which will cause a conflict with the PSU and this will usually reset it.

What sneakycyber has suggested will bypass the function of the motherboard to turn on the power supply, if this works then it points toward a problem with the motherboard. One thing that he didn't mention is that you should turn off the computer and unplug it from the wall while you connect the jumper. You would be safer using an insulated piece of wire to make this jumper, less chance of shorting to anything inside the case. After you have set the jumper to the green wire and any black wire and have made sure that it isn't touching anything else, then it is time to plug the computer back in and turn on the PSU if it has a on/off switch on the rear.

If you have a volt meter you can set it to the DC Voltage scale and read the different rail Voltages. You can see the color codes and different Voltages at this site.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 newchap

newchap

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

Sounds like a power supply. Since you have opened the case. Unplug the 20/24 main harness from the motherboard and using a paper clip short pin 16 to pin number 19 the power supply should turn on.
Posted Image

You should try what's mentioned above first.I was told by a technician that my motherboard was gone and it ended up being the power supply.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:40 PM

Newchap, it could well be that it is the PSU that is the problem, but trying to do a reset first will not harm anything and will rule out one potential problem. But yes, the PSU probably will need to be checked out.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users