Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Delte Email In Outlook Express 6

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 addie31

addie31

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:39 PM

I am unable to delete emails out of my inbox. When I click on delete, nothing happens. Any suggestions?

Edited by addie31, 12 April 2008 - 07:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:48 AM

If there are no messages in your Inbox that you want to save, try deleting the Inbox.dbx file in your Identity. If you have some emails you want to save, move or copy them to a new folder, if you can.

To find your identity, you will have to first go into Tools-Folder Options-View from any folder in Windows Explorer and check "Show hidden files and folders" first. The path to your OE Identity should be something like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{BA71C9C5-E7AE-4417-BC40-8E2D6367A668}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

(The information between { and } will be different too.)

If you have more than one identity, browse to the correct one.

Find the Inbox.dbx and just delete it. When you open OE again, it will recreate a new Inbox.dbx file.

DO NOT DELETE THE Folder.dbx file. Sometimes it is necessary to rebuild the Folder.dbx file, but you will have to redo your settings, personalized folders, news feeds, etc if you use those.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

To avoid such problems with OE in the future:

Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local folders created for this purpose.

Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

Frequently, at lease once a week, perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline".
More at How to Maintain Your OE Store Folder

Do not shut down your machine while Windows is automatically compacting your message store.

Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 addie31

addie31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

It will not let me delete the inbox

I also did a search and cannont find the inbox.dbx file

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

It will not let me delete the inbox

I also did a search and cannont find the inbox.dbx file

No, you don't delete the inbox while in OE, if that's what you tried to do. Did you make sure you have the files and folders Unhidden?

To find your identity, you will have to first go into Tools-Folder Options-View from any folder in Windows Explorer and check "Show hidden files and folders" first. The path to your OE Identity should be something like this: ...etc

How did you "search"? Don't use Windows Search. Browse to your identity with Windows Explorer.

#6 addie31

addie31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

I found the in-box.dbx and deleted it. When I reopened OE it did create an new in-box but still cannot delete email out of it. Any other suggestions?

#7 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

Why can't I delete messages inside OE?

That can happen if the Deleted Items folder is damaged. Move all messages you might want to keep out of the Deleted Items folder and into another mail folder you create. Close OE, then delete the file Deleted Items.dbx in your Identity's store folder. OE will create a new one when you re-open OE.
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#cantdel

Maybe I told you to delete the wrong one. Try deleting the Deleted Items.dbx instead.

#8 addie31

addie31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:34 AM

mamabear, I deleted the deleted box from identies and that did not fix the problem either.

#9 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:27 PM

Oh darn! Well, I'm at a loss. Usually deleting one or all the the dbx files (except the Folders.dbx) takes care of corrupted files like that. The Folders.dbx file can also be deleted and rebuilt, but I've read that doing that will wipe out your settings, subscriptions to news feeds, personal folders, etc....if you have any of that. You'd have to do all that over again. The Folders.dbx is the "structure" of all the others, Inbox, Outbox, etc, etc.

I also found instructions for reinstalling OE without having to reinstall Internet Explorer all over again too...since OE is a part of IE. But I've never used it and I have no idea if doing that would also wipe out any personal folders and saved emails you've created, news feed settings, etc in your OE Identity. Supposedly you could back up all your messages and import them back in, but if it's a corrupted message and/or attachment that's causing all the trouble, then you wouldn't want to put the corrupted files back in. That could start the problem all over again. I'll post the instructions for reinstalling OE at the end of this if you want to go that route, but what about this idea first....

Could you not try to start again with a fresh Identity? Same ISP account, email address, etc. Just give it a different name for now, like YourNameTwo. That way you can keep the old one for awhile in case you need to go back and read the old emails for reference, if you need to keep them awhile.

I just did this myself as a test. First, I exported my address book as a comma separated file and saved it in my documents. Then I created a new identity called Test, but used all the other information that belonged to my primary email account with my ISP. I sent and received just fine. It re-downloaded the messages I'd left on my server as if they were brand new. Then I imported my address book back into the Test Identity by browsing to the csv file in my docs. It all seems to work okay.

If this works for you, then after you no longer need the corrupt identity, you can delete it and rename your good one back the way you had it.

If it doesn't work, then I would guess that Outlook Express itself is corrupted and you might want to consider reinstalling it using these directions.

Reinstall Outlook Express 6

NOTE: You must be logged on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group in order to perform this procedure.

Click Start , click Run , and then type the following command:
%systemroot%\inf

NOTE : There are no spaces at all in the preceding command line.

Click OK to open the INF folder.
Locate the file MSOE50.inf .
Right-click the file, and then click Install . This will reinstall the files that Outlook Express needs to proceed normally.

It will ask you to put your windows XP cd in the drive

Again, I don't know what that will do to your existing Identity or Identities and their folders, messages, address book,etc. It may or may not wipe them out. I just don't know. But if you've exported your address book like I talked about above, you'll be able to get that back easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users