Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp Crashes When Playing Games

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 willyhog

willyhog

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:13 PM

Ok, here are my system specs-

Phenom 9600 Black Ed. (Not OC'ed)
4 GB Mushkin DDR2-800, running in ganged mode
500gb WD Caviar SATA HDD
PowerColor Radeon 3870 512 mb GDDR4, fully updated drivers
Windows XP Home (Because games don't run as well on Vista)

Scans run-

Adaware, panda, panda online, AVG, jotti online, latest vundofix

Here is the problem-

When I run a game, it usually works just fine for while, but eventually it cuts out, I hear a looping sound noise, and staticky vertical bars flash for a second, then the monitor cuts out. However, it is not a system crash-the fans, HDD, and as far as I can tell the CPU keep running just fine, which makes me think it is a graphical error. That in mind, I opened the case up and reseated the video card, as well as downloading new drivers from ATI. The same problem happened with the next game I tried. (And by the way, it is not a "game-specific" problem, because I have gotten it with more than one) The games i have tried it with are: Halo 2, Bioshock, Company of Heroes, Battlefield 2142, and Star Wars Empire at War. The error seems to be about the same for each game. I adjusted the settings in the games to different levels, it did not appear to have any effect whatsoever.

Please help! (I hope this gave enough information)
(Oh, and I cannot get the system back to a normal state once the monitor turns off without restarting it)

Edited by willyhog, 12 April 2008 - 04:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:40 PM

Has this just started to happen recently, or did you just buy the video card and these errors have started to happen?

How long does it take to start messing up, a few minutes, 10, 20, and hour?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 willyhog

willyhog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:54 AM

I have had this computer for two months now, the first month was fine. This month the games started to cut out. It usually takes about 20 minutes for the error to start. And, no, I don't think it's due to overheat-my GPU and Vmemory and my CPU and my regular memory are not OC'ed at all. I amped up the fan settings, this did not appear to have any effect either.

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

That's pretty odd...computers shouldn't work for a month then jsut stop playing games properly? Haven't added anything new, all the fans are actually working? I've had my PSU fans die and it took me a week to notice and figure out my PSU was heating.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users