OK lets's run the 2nd part from normal mode also perform this Mbam (below) scan from Normal mode.
First temporarily disable the Spy Bot Teatimer function.You can disable TeaTimer 2 ways
To disable TeaTimer and remove its startup entry:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
Uncheck (if checked) the following:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.
To temporarally close TeaTimer and restart it later:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
Restart TeaTimer:(after Fix)
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.
Reboot is NOT necessary for the change to take effect.http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2827
You should print out these instructions, or copy them to a Notepad file for reading while in Safe Mode, because you will not be able to connect to the Internet to read from this site.
Please reboot your computer in Safe Mode
by doing the following :
- Restart your computer
- After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
- Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
- Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter".
- Choose your usual account.
Once in Safe Mode, double-click SmitfraudFix.exe
Select option #2 - Clean
by typing 2
and press "Enter
" to delete infected files.
You will be prompted : "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry ?"; answer "Yes" by typing Y
and press "Enter" in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.
The tool will now check if wininet.dll
is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found); answer "Yes" by typing Y
and press "Enter".
The tool may need to restart your computer to finish the cleaning process; if it doesn't, please restart anyway into normal Windows. A text file will appear onscreen, with results from the cleaning process; please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.
The report can also be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txtWarning : running option #2 on a non infected computer will remove your Desktop background
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
and save it to your desktop.alternate download link 1alternate download link 2
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
- When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
- Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Then click Finish.
- MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
- On the Scanner tab:
- Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
- Then click on the Scan button.
- If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
- The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
- Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
- Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
- The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.