Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 6 problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Clayspapa

Clayspapa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:59 PM

I am using windows 98 SE and IE 6. It will not open any pop-up or second windows. Nor will it download any window updates and install them. All that I get is blank window showing the first windows image on it. I have tried to repair the IE still won't work. and installing it to previous version(IE 5) works the pop-ups but some of my programs require IE 5.5 or higher. I also found my IE.inf file and tried reinstall and not luck either. Can someone help me???????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:00 PM

Your windows update problem -

blank window showing the first windows image on it

- What do you mean by "first windows image"?

Until someone more knowledgeable can help you why not use another browser and forget about IE6? :thumbsup:
see http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 rbakery

rbakery

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:39 AM

I started having the same problems that you describe on Tuesday, March 22 - the day before you posted your problem. I have tried many things including uninstalling and reinstalling my virus scanner and firewall, and checking around for fixes. This is the first similar occurance that I have found and the date coincidence seems to indicate a wider problem that just our computers. When i try to click on certain links I get a new window that is just an empty frame with the title Microsoft Internet Explorer, and it just spins its wheels. This also happened when I tried to click on the links in the bleeping computer email for new registration. If I click on the tutorial link, I get this empty window.
Hopefully someone can help us.

#4 rbakery

rbakery

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:34 PM

:thumbsup: SUCCESS!! I tried various things but the final successful step was replacing OLEAUT32.DLL following the instructions near the end of http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm Good Luck

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:01 PM

Congratulations!

And thanks for posting back on how you accomplished your fix.
It may help others here too.

:thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 supersquaw

supersquaw

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:45 PM

:thumbsup: SUCCESS!! I tried various things but the final successful step was replacing OLEAUT32.DLL following the instructions near the end of http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm Good Luck

me too!!, after trying all that other bleep about re regestering over 10 dll files and still got nothing, finally something works. its been months of copying links into the same window, damn that pissed me off!
Take what you can, give back nothing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users