Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Drive Has Slowed Down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rizqe

rizqe

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

Hello, bleepingcomputer community,

There's something wrong with my DVD Drive. When I play a DVD on my laptop, it doesn't play smoothly - it's quite choppy. It wasn't like this before.

Also, the burning speed has slowed down a lot. It now takes twice as much time as before. It also takes more time to copy a file from a CD/DVD to the laptop.

Here are computer's properties:
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002
Service pack 2
Dell Inspiron MXC061
Genuine Intel® CPU
T2300 @ 1.66GHz
0.99 GB of RAM

DVD Rom:
I'm not sure about this:
_NEC DVD+-RW ND-6650A

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by rizqe, 12 April 2008 - 12:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 02:45 PM

Try running the 'Disk Defragmenter" tool (disable file-access antivirus and screensaver before running it, otherwise it will never finish)

Also ensure that the IDE channel the DVD drive is on is set to 'DMA' and not 'PIO' mode. You can check/alter this in Device Manager->"IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers".
Double-click the channel to which the DVD drive is attached (usually it's the 'secondary IDE channel'), then click the 'Advanced' tab. Set "Transfer mode" to "DMA if available" then reboot.

Edited by pip22, 12 April 2008 - 02:53 PM.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:15 PM

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=61905

check your dma

to fix read the guide if the simple reset doesn't work

Edited by DaChew, 12 April 2008 - 03:17 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:34 PM

I've had to reset my DMA from time to time and sometimes it wouldn't stick. This reg file from cdfreaks forum does it for me. I keep it in my Tools folder for when I need it again.

"Use at your own Risk"

The credit for this goes to jamie (burnatonce developer)

Have used this little reg file a couple of times when XP has dropped into PIO mode after lots of re-tries.
Just download , double click the file and voila! you can select once again"DMA mode if available"

Rename the file from .txt to .reg before double clicking

http://club.cdfreaks.com/attachments/f74/2...p-reset_dma.txt

#5 rizqe

rizqe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:52 AM

Hi!

Thank you so much for your help. I did pip22's and DaChew's suggestions, and they've helped. My DVD-Rom is working fine right now!

Mommabear, I've saved your suggestion for future use. I'm sure it'll come in handy.

Thank you once again! Problem solved! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users