Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Access To Outlook Express 6.0

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 120 Locust

120 Locust

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:08 PM

I have Windows Xp on a home computer. I recently openned my Outlook Express and suddenly had 200 junk emails in my inbox that got past my ISP's junk email filter. I quickly deleted the emails. Then in a bit of a panic I ran McAfee Viruscan and SpyBot Search and Destroy at the same time. I left the computer and came back in about 1 hour. When I was going back into the computer I got a message that said there was a Registry Key change and I hit okay (sorry I don't know exactly what it wrote). The Viruscan and Spybot did not appear so I was not able to see any results. I have run Viruscan, Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware and Superantispyware (viruscan is a paid for service, others I have used the free utility). The scans have found cookies but no viruses. I haven't been able to get back into my Outlook Express. I was able to get into a Outlook Express but it was a new version to me and all my old emails did not appear.

I ran a System Restore hoping that would fix my registry key issue but after I ran the System Restore it said it didn't update any thing since nothing had changed (what it said). I feel like something bad has happened but I can't find any viruses. I would like to get back into my original version of Outlook Express to get my saved emails back.

I have ran a hijackthis scan. I use ZoneAlarms firewall. My wife's Outlook Express is working on the same computer. Besides the lost of my saved emails I can't seem to determine any problems but the computer does seem like I am opening applications for the first time (just brought up Word and it was like I had never openned it before).

Thanks for any thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

Hello Locust, welcome to Bleeping Computer.
When you opened up OE, were you asked to configure it and set it up for use with your ISP (or other) mail?
If not, one thing for you to check.

Open Outlook Express.
Then click on VIEW at the top, choose
CURRENT VIEW.

Is there a round black dot next to SHOW ALL MESSAGES?
If not, click on Show All Messages.

Hopefully it will be something as simple as that which will fix your issue. If not, what do you mean by "a new version"? What was different about it?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 April 2008 - 02:15 PM.

#3 120 Locust

120 Locust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 02:36 PM

Weird...When I first clicked on View the Current View was shaded in so I was not able to click on it now I can click on the Show all messages but nothing shows up.

By new version I should be more accurate that it is still Outlook Express 6.00 but it was not configured like I had it before. None of my previous folders or messages are in the this location or view. I got a new welcome to Outlook Express message in this box. I haven't gone through the Internet Connection Wizard or tried to import messages or done anything with accounts or options. Basically, I went from openning Outlook Express with some saved emails and folders to an Outlook Express that appears it has never been setup. I haven't configured it to the ISP and I have sent some messages to my email address and they do not appear.

{MOD Edit:moved to more appropriate forum~~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 12 April 2008 - 03:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users