Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Problems Accessing Some Files In My Wd Mybook Hard Drive.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xerexes

xerexes

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:33 AM

I own a 500 GB Mybook External Hard Drive and I operate on Windows XP SP2. I recently transfered a video file from one folder within Mybook to another one in it containing about 185 GB worth of video files. After that, I noticed that all the other files in the second folder have been somehow transfered to a "New Folder", with all their names in unintelligible letters and symbols. While the folder itself says it contains 185 GB, all the sub-folders within it can't be opened and I get a "folder is empty" notice when I hold the cursor over them. The other folders not involved in this transfer are still intact.

Any ideas on how to handle this problem? Thanks in advance.

Edited by xerexes, 12 April 2008 - 10:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

Check the drive and connections, as a start?

You can run chkdsk /r to check the drive or use a manufacturer's diagnostic.

You can also check Event Viewer for clues on what is happening, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

...and scan for malware.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 April 2008 - 11:39 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,006 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:36 AM

Let me see if I've followed this correctly. You move a 185GB file from folder #1 to folder #2, and all of the information that was in file #2 previously has now been moved to a new folder? So the files transferred from folder #1 are accessible in folder #2 now? But not the files that were in this folder before you transferred the files from folder #1?

This begins to sound like the Abbot and Costello "who's on first" routine.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 xerexes

xerexes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:10 PM

Sorry if it sounds confusing. I have numerous folders on the HD. One of them (we'll call it folder X) contains 185 GB worth of files in various subfolders. I moved a subfolder from somewhere else in the HD into folder X. But now most of the subfolders in folder X have been somehow transferred to a New Folder that I hadn't created, and they are all showing as empty and have unintelligible symbols as names, but the New Folder says it contains 185 GB. Hope that makes sense.

Edited by xerexes, 15 April 2008 - 02:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users