Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dualbooting With Xphome Installed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 grandad62

grandad62

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:57 AM

hi all, i have sucessfully dualbooted before. xp home and xp pro 64bit trial. i have completed the trial and unistalled it.now i am trying to dual boot with linux. set my boot sequence to boot from cd and put in the linux disc and rebooted the linux start page comes up. press start it installs the linux kernal then i get a blank screen. my dvd drive runs for about 10 mins then shuts down then nothing. so i tried the wubi 8.04. it installs inside windows and dowloads the file then asks if i want to reboot. i do so press ubuntu at the start page and get a blank screen with kernal alive on one line and kernel direct mapping tables up to 10000000@8000-d000 in the bottom left hand corner then nothing. so i cleaned it all out and tried the older 7.04 wubi again it does all the bits inside xp and says reboot I do so and get the ubuntu option select it and get a black screen with the following hd0,0 filesystem type is ntfs,partition type0x7 (linux-bzimage,setup=0x1c00,size 0x1a820c)linux-intrid @0^1f85e000,0^7918a5by then nothing annybody any ideas as to what i am doing wrong? intel pentium d 945 3.40 ghz/1 gig ram/250 gig hard drive /nvidia 7300 graphics card. zone alarm firewall and threatfire running plus the spybot teatimer. could these be the problem? any help gratefully accepted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

Welcome to BC
I know that Teatimer can cause a variety of headaches. I believe this is more of a Linux problem so I'm going to move your post there where more qualified people will see it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:33 AM

shrink your windows partition a bit to free up some clean space on your hard drive. Depending on what you want. Ideally, 18 Gb. That will leave you 7 Gb for root, 1 Gb swap and 10 Gb for home...of course you can free up as much space as you like for home, depending on what you plan to do.

Go to Ubuntu and download the alternate install CD (I'm assuming that's what you prefer by your post). burn it to disk and then reboot your pc. follow the directions and use the blank space on your hard drive for your linux install.

Linux will overwrite your boot loader and replace it with Grub (or LILO depending on distro chosen). Don't panic. When install is complete, you will have a nice selection menu to boot into either windows or linux. Later, when you are more comfortable with it, you can even rewrite it to change the boot order and default OS to boot.

Have fun.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#4 Specmon

Specmon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

Well, let's see.

Firstly, and unfortunately, not every machine will run Linux. So the first thing for you to do is get a "LiveCD" (Ubuntu runs as a LiveCD) Instead of installing, or "trying to install" the OS is loaded into system memory and it runs from there and the CD, with programs that you call for being uncompressed and loaded into memory from the CD. The Live CD does everything that a complete install would do, albeit much slower as you are limited by the CD read speed.

But this will tell you if your machine will even "run" Linux. If it does, and you like the looks of the Ubuntu interface, then you reboot the CD and do an install. This IS NOT something that Windows has anything to do with, and you don't install anything into your Windows partition in order to manipulate stuff.

There are many LiveCD's that you can try if Ubuntu won't run, or you don't like it. Couple of my favorites are PCLos and Mandriva One. I've not tried it, but SLAX seems to be the most popular LiveCD.

So if you go to install, always select "custom partitioning" Don't just let the installer fly as it can use your entire hard drive and it will overwrite Windows with the same lack of respect that Windows gives Linux. :thumbsup:

In the custom partitioning window, you'll clearly see your windows partitions, and you can even resize them from here.

You need to create three new Linux partitions: first a "root" drive (shown as"/") where all the system files are installed, a "swap" file that you just 'create' without formating. Your swap file should be twice the size of your system's RAM. Oh, the root partition can be as small as 4 gigs up to maybe ten or so, won't need much bigger than that. Lastly you create a "/home" partition; that is where all your files like downloads and anything else you create will go. The system also stores your "user" files there too. Depending on the size of your hard drive 5-10 is ample, but make it as large as you like.

Format the root and home partition as "ext3" until you learn enough about Linux that you have reason to use a different file system.

Nice thing about modern Linux OS's is that they can read and write to Window's NTFS file systems, (FAT32 has been available for Linux for a few years) so that you can see and use your entire hard drive while using Linux.

That should get you started. If you get stuck, just hollar. :flowers:

Most people find installing Linus these days to be much easier than installing Windows. So don't be afraid, and have fun.

Tom :trumpet:

Edited by Specmon, 21 April 2008 - 05:11 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users