Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Failure on Windows XP Pro - Please Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cbaker

cbaker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:56 PM

Hi all, I am a newbie to this site but I have come here and gotten some wonderful information. Hoping you all can help me out now....

I have a Deskmate laptop running Windows XP Professional, bought it on ebay, used, of course, and it has run pretty well for a good 6-months or so (aside from melting the power cords, which the seller apparently had no foreknowledge of... :thumbsup: ...but anyway...). and no internal battery, which I knew before I bought it.

Well, it has 4-USB ports on the side, which have been dying off 1 by 1, and when something is plugged into the dead ports by mistake, they restart/short the computer and it reboots. Yippee. Well, another one died tonight, and when trying it, it rebooted the system only this time I got a boot failure. Specifically:

"searching for boot record from cdrom...not found", and then....

"boot failure - reboot and select proper boot device or insert bood media in selected boot device, press any key when ready".

Now, I have a cd for windows XP that came with my Dell desktop, and tried to fix the boot failure with that, but I don't have the administrative password. I got that far with it. I never thought about needing the password, unfortunately, and don't even know that I could have changed it had I tried.

I have tried to make a boot disk from a site specifically geared towards a quick fix, but it didn't work either.

All of my pictures, work files, etc., are on it. Can I reload it with windows XP home? Will it wipe out everything else on the C drive if I do?

TIA...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cbaker

cbaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:30 PM

Okay, well anyway, I attempted to reload it with my Windows disk from my desktop, Windows XP, wiped off the Windows XP professional that was on it, I guess, and it just gets to a point where it reboots and gives me the same message over and over about the boot failure.

Anyone?

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 04:06 PM

I don't know if the damage of attempting to load Win XP home over Win XP Pro can be repaired or not, but go into system restore and see if you have a restore point dated before you did it.

If you do, try it and see if that corrects it.

If not see if you can obtain some emergency boot discs.

You can also look and see what the computer's motherboard instructs for resetting the CMOS password.

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 March 2005 - 04:06 PM.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 23 March 2005 - 05:21 PM

I have a Deskmate laptop running Windows XP Professional, bought it on ebay, used, of course, and it has run pretty well for a good 6-months or so (aside from melting the power cords,

Well, it has 4-USB ports on the side, which have been dying off 1 by 1, and when something is plugged into the dead ports by mistake,
"searching for boot record from cdrom...not found", and then....

"boot failure - reboot and select proper boot device or insert bood media in selected boot device, press any key when ready".

This sounds like a severe hardware problem. The power cords melting should have been a clue. A bad power supply can destroy virtually everything or anything in the computer. I suspect that your best bet would be to start looking for a new one, although I tend towards seeing more problems than there actually are. Not being able to find a boot device in this case is not likely to be a software problem. It needs somebody to physically open the case and look for burned or damaged components, and laptops are notoriously hard to work on. (If I had it, I'd probably consider it a fun project to tear it apart and try to save it. I'm writing this on an Acer Aspire desktop that was headed for the dump when I rescued it.)

#5 cbaker

cbaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:42 PM

Thanks for the help. Actually, the windows XP deleted the first windows, not loaded over top of it. It seemed to go okay until it had to reboot the computer, so if I can ever get back into the computer, I will see how that went. I cannot even get to bios right now. Function keys aren't working. Nothign but "the message". Actually the windows disk and the windows resource CD (from another computer, so didn't work) are the only things that got me anywhere besides the boot failure message. But nothing is accessible from those except what I have already tried.

I am working with a programmer by email, whom I haven't heard back from yet but hope to soon, who says it sounds like it lost the parameters for the hard drive, but not the hard drive. So keeping my fingers crossed. He sounded pretty optimistic. I will check back here and update, of course. I really appreciate the input and if the parameters cannot be replaced, I will be opening up the back, definitely. I have checked the hard disk and it does look okay.

#6 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:59 PM

If all you want to do is recover your files, remove the drive and slave it in anuther computer and browse to the data and copy it to the working drive or to cd.

If ya want to recover the drive to boot normlly thats something else entriely

#7 cbaker

cbaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:46 AM

Okay, well, the BIOS had lost the hard drive parameters. I had to hit the right function key in the first 2-seconds before the system page/boot failure message came on the screen, and have it recapture the hard disk parameters. They are back but I had already reinstalled Windows, thinking that there was no other hope at the time, so my information and my files are gone.

Is it too late to slave the drive out and recapture my files or is it too late for that with Windows installed again?

#8 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2005 - 06:31 AM

You can maybe try one of the following data recovery products.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...+recovery+tools

Since you reformatted this may be your best option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users