Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Locks Up While Using P2p

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:15 AM

Hello everybody,
The problem I have is widely discussed on all kind of forums (I found after some googling), but I want to discuss it anyway because of the variety of 'solutions' I found and because of the fact that many have this problem.
I have XP sp2 with a broadband internetconnection which works just fine. Modem speedtouch 330 wired. I am not an expert on internetconnections, but I connect using a broadband connection via a LAN ethernet adapter. In my show-all-connections is one broadband and one lan, disabling the lang, makes the broadband to tell me that it cannot find the specified destination.
As I said, everything works great, till I tried to download things using p2p-clients (doesn't matter which one). After a time (this can be 10 minutes or 2 hours or more), my internet freezes. After some research I discovered the folowing:
My eventlog shows NO errors or warnings (no maximum number of connections reached, etc)
Sometimes it works to open services and restart the modem-services, than the networkconnections and I can connect again, however, this isn't working always (50-50).
The problem appears to be in my LAN-connection, it disables after the conection freezes and when I say enable it says: connection failed. I tried to restart every relevant service, but it makes no difference. The only thing I can do is a reboot, but I don't like that solution. Disconnectiong the modem doesn't work either. I figured it has something to do with a higher download speed, but it occurs at all downloadspeeds. I checked everything, I tried all kind of things, but the problem remains the same.
All my drivers are up to date, no problems in the eventlog, who can give me any clue about the problem???????? I would be very greatful if anyone can give me a hint!!!

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:33 AM

It would seem...that one approach would be to remove the application(s) you installed...which immediately preceded your troubles.

Then compare how the system functions.

And, of course, always check for malware thoroughly.

Louis

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• 61,202 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:30 AM

My PC is absolutely malware free. As for the problems with the application: it never worked. I never had a smoothless p2p connection, it always locks up the internet.
The funniest thing is that it seems to work fine if my p2p client is opened normally (not minimized to the tray), the internet seems not to freeze if the windows is opened. But I cannot find a reason for this, so maybe it is just luck.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:45 AM

p2p software is often poorly written, and sometimes can infect you. If not the software, then what you download will infect you. One of the signs of infection is connectivity issues.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

you say you are malware free?

if you are running P2P programs you are in a riskey area for infections

of interest which scans HAVE you run to check for malware and what is your installed antivirus program ?

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• 61,202 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:45 PM

First of all, I use p2p for legal downloads, which makes it less risky, not necessarily, I know.... Second, I am not a newby, know how to handle spyware, I run McAfee security center and uniblue spyware eraser and weekly run panda security scan and trendmicro housecall online scan. I scan all downloaded files at the jotti site to be extra sure. My computer performance is really good, starts fast, runs everything smoothly, except for this problem with my internet connection freezing. By the way, today I did not have any problem with my internet.

regards, Elise

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:56 PM

as has been said, infections can affect your connectivity and as you state you are doing active P2P work it cannot harm to and is worth your running two other scans to check for any unwanted guests
try superantispywware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html

free exe is http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfi...ANTISPYWAREFREE

and asquared

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

free exe is http://download6.emsisoft.com/a2FreeSetup.exe

I suggest you install both, fully update the definitions, reboot the computer into safe mode and run full deep scans with each, run each from the desktop icon and not from the start menue

see if they find anything you are as yet unaware of?

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:55 PM

who is your ISP ? some are throttling p2p traffic , slowing it down especially during peak periods of internet use. but i have not heard of this actually freezing an internet connection.
when this happens can other programs access the internet ? or are all connections dead.

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• 61,202 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:52 AM

I have a local ISP here (telephone company). But the problem is not them. It is not the traffic that is been limited or something like that, the problem seems to be more like something on my PC cannot handle long and fast downloads.
As for the malware problems: NOTHING, I standardly run deep systemscans, I assure everyone this is not the problem (believe me, I delt with all kinds of malware and developped kind a nose for it).

regards, Elise

#10 peterdiva

peterdiva

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:25 AM

The modem might not be able to handle P2P. See if you have the latest firmware.

It is a pretty basic modem. http://whirlpool.net.au/index.cfm?a=h_view&model_id=105

#11 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:30 AM

you say you know you are clear from infections?

it would be very helpful to know which programs you HAVE run on there to look for infections and what their logs reported /showed so infection can be eliminated from the equation

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• 61,202 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:10 AM

Please, look up in my postings, to see which scans I did, all with result: no infections found. Superantispyware (from the link suggested) the same. If you like, I can post a hijack-this log.

regards, Elise

#13 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:29 PM

peterdiva may be on to something. Look at this:

http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=134871

My modem/router keeps disconnecting from the internet when BitComet is running, how can I stop it?

This problem will happen with any BitTorrent client and some other programs (BitComet isn't the culprit), so your best option is to contact your modem/router manufacturer and see if they have a solution because this is a hardware problem. Otherwise your only choice may be to buy a different model modem/router that doesn't suffer from this problem.

But web browsing works fine, so it can't be the modem/router, right? WRONG! BitTorrent works totally different than web browsers which is why you'll only experience this problem with swarming P2P applications like BitTorrent/BitComet. Web browsers typically use a maximum of 8 simultaneous connections (when loading multiple pages at the same time) where as BitTorrent uses somewhere between 40 and several hundred. Some modem/router models simply do not support enough connections and/or become overwhelmed, so they disconnect or lock-up entirely.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• 61,202 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:47 AM

Thnx so far for all your answers. What I like to understand is the thing with the broadband-connection-via-lan-ethernetadapter. Is this a common thing? And what does it mean, maybe someone can explain me the basics, so I can get a better insight (the problem starts with the lan) and try to change some settings. Can this also have anything to do with dynamic/static IP's (maybe now I am discussing on the wrong forum, sorry for that). And if this can be so, in which one (the lan or the broadband) must I get a static IP?
I would appreciate it very much if someone can clarify this for me!!

Edited by elise025, 14 April 2008 - 02:51 AM.

regards, Elise

#15 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:21 AM

static ip means your ip is always the same
isp's use dynamic ip so they can use a limited number of ip's with a larger group of customers who are not always online.
when you log on to the internet you are assigned an ip from your isp. it will not change until you log off for a period of time and then log back on. so your ip does not change in mid-stream so to speak.
i have a dynanic ip and p2p works fine with cisco 680 modem. your isp should be able to tell you if there are limitations on the modem they provided or check the manufacturers web site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users