Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCI conflict error..?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:40 PM

Hi Im tinkering with my friends old PIII 400 MHz. its loaded with 64 MB PC100 ram, and some other vanilla flavor parts from gateway, like an old TNT Riva (i think) gfx card.

any way the problem started a month ago when i was recruited to set up his DSL. i had to get him a NIC card and install it, which took forever b/c the modem was confilcting or something. after an hour or so i was ready to put my fist through a wall and then it magically fixed itself.

Now the problem poped back up. this time the system will run for a minute or 2 after startup. whether you let it idle on the desktop or run Firfox, a BitTorrent client and a wordproccesor all at the same time (its old remember) it will spontaneously crash to the BIOS startup screen and reboot. no bluescreen or warning... however one time i was paying close enough attention at the split second of failure to see it say something about PCI error or conflict in a DOS style screen.

I pulled the modem out of a PCI slot and it works now. i dont need the modem and the NIC at the same time(yet) but i am interested to know if anyone can tell me why it would not work, work and then not work again.

apologies if this is actually already posted somewhere but i just assume the problem is to specific to already exist... also aplogize for my longwindedness thanx for reading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:55 PM

It could be that they were trying to share the same system resources and just couldn't get along. Memory addressing, IRQ conflicts, or I/O settings may have tried to overlap. That's my best guess. There may have also been a piece of software on the system that tried to start up with the modem - or dial up, when the NIC was handling internet/network traffic.

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:54 PM

In short, the nic isnt compatible with the system.................It happens alot with system slike that where its really buggy sometimes itll just slow down the computer and sometimes it will cause major erros.

To fix it so it doesnt automatically restart when theres an error do this

Control Panel => System => Advanced Tab => Click settings under system startup, system failure, and system recovery => Under system failure, uncheck automatic reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users