Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Startup Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 M Clark

M Clark

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:34 PM

When I Start my computer up every time it starts a disk check. Then after I'm able to get past that. The user screen comes up and freezes. I restart several times with different modes. I select last known good configuration. Nothing is different. Can't start under safe mode. 1 of 15 times, about, I'm able to get access to only one user and the documents folder is not in the correct place, and the C: does not have anything in the folder showing up. Most times when I start the computer and get to the user screen I'll choose a user and then a pop-up window with nothing in it or on it written pops up. When I click it it resets my user profile back to user choose screen. Can anyone help. Right now I can't find my recovery disk. Because i just moved and packed it up. I was just looking for another solution, plus I haven't reformated for over a year and don't want to lose everything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:21 AM

Check for malware?

Louis

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:26 AM

did you try using the recovery console? Boot with your xp-cd, choose the options for setting up a nes install, till you get the message that an earlier installation is found and choose to repair it. If this works I recommend you do some good malware-search.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 musical_tiger29

musical_tiger29

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:18 PM

My friend had the same problem..
Boot up in safe mode and Run msconfig and check what is being loaded into the memory on startup and select accordingly.
In services, hide all microsoft services and Uncheck any boxes which you cannot recognise or are marked as unidentified etc...
Do this for startup too (They were trojans on my friends computer). Now try and reboot again... Hope it works!
Also do a registry scan & cleanup (I recommend registry booster 2) and scan for malware/spyware with a good antivirus.

#5 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:05 PM

I would suggest going to run, type in 'msconfig' , go to the last tab with startup items, and look them up and uncheck the ones u don't want. don't uncheck if you're not sure! If you can connect to the internet, Spybot S&D also has a user friendly startup list under advanced options

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:28 AM

I would suggest downloading a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive in order to test the drive. Chkdsk shouldn't be coming up all the time - and most often I've found this to be a symptom of a failing hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

Also do a registry scan & cleanup (I recommend registry booster 2) and scan for malware/spyware with a good antivirus.

WARNING:
(The recommended program, will make changes to the registry.)
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry, before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry
(I highly recommend, you make a copy of this article, before proceeding.)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 April 2008 - 12:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users