Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using C$ To Browse The C Drive Over The Network.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

I don't know if somebody already posted about this , but i thought i would because it's beeing much helpfull at work recently.

My company spreads over a large area and lot of times when i am on a users PC far away from my PC, i need a certain application or a certain file located on my PC and since i rather not to pulg my USB stick anywhere , i found out lately that i can browse My C: drive through the network as if im sitting on the PC itself and Copy/Paste any file i need like if im working on the same PC.

The trick is first to Unchek the Use simple file Sharing located in the view tab in folder options in the PC you are accessing.

Then let's say my computer's IP is 192.168.1.1 and the simple file sharing is uncheked, on the PC i am on i go to start > Run >\\192.168.1.1\C$
and a window will open askin me for my username and password, after you enter it, you will be able to browse the C: Drive and copy/Paste any file to the PC you are working on.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t0fu

t0fu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:01 AM

To do this you also have to make sure the Windows XP Firewall is also configured properly or shutoff.

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:31 PM

Good point Wassim and if you know the name of your PC you can use it also \\(name)\c$
MCP
MSDST

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users