Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashes After Reviving From Standby Or Hibernate.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

I have a brand new computer, Inspiron with Windows XP with 2gb RAM. I noticed that after reviving my computer from standby or hibernate, a few minutes later, it will crash and show the BSOD. I have reformatted the hard drive, run virus scans, run chkdsk, and it still occurs. What could possibly be wrong with it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

What errors messages do you get at BSOD? Note down the error code at the bottom and the description at the top written in uppercase letters with multiple words tied together with underscore characters.

Have you installed any new hardware or software lately?

Please give more details to receive help...

#3 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:08 PM

Ah, sorry. No, i have not installed any software or hardware prior to this problem occuring. Here's the error message:
A_problem_has_been_detected_and_Windows_has_been_shut_down_to_prevent_damage_to_your_computer.

The_problem_seems_to_be_caused_by_the_following_file:

If_this_is_the_first_time_you've_seen_this_Stop_error_screen,_restart_your_computer._If_this_screen_appears_again,_follow_these_steps:

(and it has the usual check for new hardware/software, disable BIOS, go into safe mode blah)

Technical_information:

***_STOP:_0x40000080_(0x89CAA3F0,0x8972D828,0xBA4D3BB8,0x00000001)

Beginning_dump_of_physical_memory
Physical_memory_dump_complete.
Contact_your_system_administrator_or_technical_support_group_for_further_assistance.

Also, now i've had this problem http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/141298/computer-randomly-shutdown-then-restarts-now-is-fine/ where it had randomly shutdown.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:19 PM

A lot of hibernate and standby problems are caused by corrupt video drivers. Try reloading them and see if that improves things
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:29 PM

Um... sorry, but what do you mean by reloading them?
Thanks for replying with something helpful

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

i think he means uninstall then re-install the latest video drivers

#7 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

It appears that after reinstalling, the computer no longer crashes. Thanks!

Edit: Or not...it just crashed again after coming back from hiberntion.

Edited by trashcan7, 13 April 2008 - 06:26 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:26 AM

As you have reinstalled your video drivers, the next suspect would be (IMO) your motherboard/chipset drivers.

I'd suggest that you search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp (usually located in C:\Windows\Minidump). Once you find them, use this link to perform an analysis of them ( http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 ) and post the results in your next post. That'll give us an idea of where to proceed.

Also, please let us know the exact model number of your Dell Inspiron (or the service tag number on the back) so that we can also locate the appropriate drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users