Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Put My New Dual Core Cpu...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 graeme22

graeme22

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:59 AM

hi could someone please tell me can i put my new dual core cpu in my pc without having to re install vista ..iam running a 3.4 hp cpu at the moment on 32 bit vista . my mother/b will take duel core , my new dual core is 2.67 gig.. can i just replace the old cpu with new one and boot up without having to install vista again , i dont want to run in 64 bit mode as yet, but i do have the vista 64 bit disk 4 when i want to install it ....and any thoughts on if my pc will be faster running this cpu rather than my old one ... kind regards graeme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:55 PM

You may have to re-activate your version of windows aside from that you should have no problem. Make sure to use new thermal paste, and properly shut down the computer first.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:33 PM

It may not work due to the motherboard though.... in the case that either it doesn't support it or it doesn't have the right socket.

Can you get us your computer's model number, or even better, the motherboard model?

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#4 graeme22

graeme22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:12 PM

hi yeah its asus commando republic of gamers motherboard socket lga775 cheers

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

Under the ROG Commando spec sheet your board will support it, And just about anything else manufactured buy Intel for desktops :thumbsup: .
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users