Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logs Off Immediately After Logging On

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CompDavid

CompDavid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:46 AM

When I last used my main computer I turned off the computer as normal (by using start...turn off computer), but then as it was shutting down I saw something I needed to change on the Word page I had printed. I thought the computer had turned off completely, and I pressed the power button to turn on the computer. It appeared to start as normal and progressed to the log in page. But when I tried to log on, it said "loading your personal settings" and showed the desktop for less than a second (it didn't even have time to show any icons) and then immediately showed it was "logging off" "saving your settings." I have tried logging on to different accounts. I have tried to get it to go to safe mode (by pressing F8 as it was starting) and it will show the page ("safe mode windows advanced option menu") that has options of going into safe mode, but when I choose for it to go into safe mode, it just returns to the log in page, and has the same response of logging on, and then immediately logging off and returning to the log in page.

I hope this is just some simple problem caused when I pressed the power button before the computer had turned off all the way, and would appreciate any help. I did a Norton Ghost image of my system and saved it on my external hard drive last week, but I don't know what to do with it because my computer isn't working.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:55 AM

Hi CompDavid,

You may unplug both the PC and the monitor, wait for 30 sec, plug them again and turn on.

If it did not help you may try the option "last known good configuration" from the "safe mode windows advanced option menu".

#3 CompDavid

CompDavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:23 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately neither unplugging the computer and monitor, and using "last known good configuration" from the "safe mode windows advanced option menu" had any effect.

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:39 AM

I suggest the following if you feel comfortable to do it:
  • Turn off and unplug the PC and the monitor. Remove the case, make sure you ground yourself to avoid static shock to the sensitive parts. Then remove the RAM kits , plug the PC, then unplug and place the RAM kits back. Plug the PC and the monitor and turn on them.
  • I don't know if your system has this one. If the step 2 did not worked turn off and unplug the PC and the monitor. Search for a coin battery, remove it, place it upside down and wait about 10 sec. It should reset your BIOS to factory set up. Place the battery back into its original state. Then plug the PC and the monitor and turn on. If it worked the PC boots normally but you have to rest the date and the time and eventually the other changes you have made before in your BIOS set up like the order of the boot (setting the controller to read hard drive first or CD-ROM drive first, or if you have turned off any on board devices).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users