Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Start Comp

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:25 AM

Hi,

I'm having a problem w/ my computer..

It was working fine yesterday, but today, when i tried to start it up, it locks after the "XP loading screen" (black screen).

I could boot into safe mode, and tried doing a system restore, but didn't help.

I did a chkdsk, and now (last time i tried) it boots into windows, but it's slower than usual, and i get the "usb device malfunctioned" for pretty much everything connected via usb (printer, webcam, finger print reader).

Also did a virus scan, and there was only one "suspicious" item in IE cache, which i quarantined.

When i tried shutting down moments ago, it froze on the "windows is shutting down " screen too (but the mouse, keyboard, still worked).

I don't think i installed any new software, and definitely no new hardware. It's probably software problem somewhere?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:19 AM

Let's see if I understand your issue:

Is this correct?: When booting normally you see the Windows splash screen, and then the screen goes dark (black) and the computer does not complete it's booting up? But, you are able to boot into safe mode ok.

If that is correct, it sounds a lot like an issue with the video driver.

Another test is to boot into safe mode, lower the screen resolution setting in Windows. Reboot normally. Does it boot now? If so, change ( increase) the resolution while booted in Windows normally. Does this work?

Update the video driver. Boot into safe mode, go on line to download the latest video driver for your computer. Install it. Reboot.

This might resolve the issue. But it would be nice to know more about your computer. What are the specs? Is it a laptop or desktop? Is there a video card or on board video, or both? The answer to all of those questions will help in knowing where to go next with this issue.

EDIT: Another idea is to disconnect everything unneeded from the computer - printers etc. Boot. Does this work? If not, remove everything else, such as take the computer down to one stick of ram, disconnect all optical drives, floppys, etc. Remove all but one hard drive, etc. Then try booting. Does it work better now? If so, then reconnect one piece of hardware at a time and retest.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 12 April 2008 - 08:22 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Corie

Corie

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:21 AM

you should go into safe mode then system restore to restore ur last good settings

#4 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:09 PM

Hey "Albert Frankenstein",

Yes, you're correct w/ my situation.

I tried lowering the screen resolution settings (in safe mode), but it didn't fix it.

My video card is ATI Radeon 9550. I downloaded the latest driver, but when i tried to install, i get "Setup did not find a compatible driver. Setup will now exit" error. (i did this during safe mode).

Sry, i didn't tell you about my computer. It's a desktop, has video card + on board (but im using video card: radeon 9550), 256MB ram (yea it's my old comp), AMD processor.

One thing funny though, i had my XP CD in the cd drive yesterday, and when i selected safe mode, it read some files off the cd, and the comp booted. I took out the CD, restarted, (started up normally) and although it was slow, it still worked.

But today, it won't start normally, only in Safe Mode.

I remember the computer installed 6 updates a few days ago (i think it was tuesday). The next day (wednesday) the computer worked fine, but since then, it won't budge.

ANd to Corie,

I could boot into safe mode, and tried doing a system restore, but didn't help.

Please actually read my post first.

Thanks.

Edit: tried running registry booster, but didn't work either.

Edited by funnytim, 13 April 2008 - 12:07 AM.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:03 AM

I would next remove the video card, and just use the on board video. Will it boot normally now? If so, then it is an issue with either the video card, or more likely the driver.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:46 PM

But it was working fine before....I never updated my drivers or anything..

Last time i opened the case of the computer was when i upgraded the ram...which then lead to problems and took me a long time to fix. I don't fancy taking smth apart from the computer again unless there's nothing else.

So...could there be anything else wrong?

Thanks.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:00 AM

Were there any errors found by chkdsk? Did you fix them? If you did fix them, please run chkdsk again and see if it picks up more errors. If it does, then this would cause me to suspect your hard drive. You can download a free diagnostic utility from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive to verify this.

As for the video drivers not installing, please check in Device Manager and verify that the card is listed as a Radeon 9550. To do this, go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Click on the + sign next to Display Adapters and check what it says. Presuming that it does say Radeon 9550 and that you're using 32 bit Windows, use Option 2 at this link to download the driver: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst...p=xp/radeonx-xp

There's 2 reasons for doing this, one is to ensure that you've got the correct driver and, two, to try another download in case the first one was corrupted.

Normally in XP, the cause of a black screen after the Windows splash screen is due to video drivers not working properly. In most cases this is merely a problem with the driver, but in some cases can be caused by other things (such as the hard drive or file system starting to fail, a broken video card, or even a problem with the motherboard). Getting video drivers installed is essential for troubleshooting this issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:12 PM

It happened last time too ...that after i do a chkdsk, the computer will boot + run in normal mode. However, it seems to operate much slower. Also, the usb devices aren't recognized.
What happened last time was the computer would run even after a couple of restarts, but if i turn it off eg. overnight, the next day, it won't work.

In device manager, it recognizes my card, but I still get the "Setup did not find a compatible driver. Setup will now exit" error.

Edits: USB now works. I've also successfully installed the latest video drivers in "normal" mode. I'll see how the computer runs now.

Edited by funnytim, 15 April 2008 - 11:07 PM.

#9 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:16 PM

It worked for a few days (i managed to somehow boot into XP regularly), after re-installed the video driver.

But this morning it won't start up again (even tho it was working fine yesterday, and i didn't install anything on it).

EDIT: wait, maybe windows did install some updates on it last night. I vaguely remember before when i clicked "turn off computer", it wanted to install updates, then shutdown. I had been clicking on "dont install" for the past few days, but maybe i clicked the regular "turn off" yesterday....Could that be it??

Edited by funnytim, 19 April 2008 - 03:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users