Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows, Mac, Or Linux?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:13 AM

I just want to know how people chose their OSs?

I have been using Windows since I first touched a PC, but recently my friends showed me the Eee PC runs on Linux.

And I have to admit that it was fast (bootup) comparing to windows, even though the specs are poor.

it doesn't have a desktop like windows but with big images and icons, which is very User Friendly.

One more thing, if all 3 OSs runs on the same hardware, which OS performs the best?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:11 AM

Well, I currently have a dual-boot setup with Ubuntu Linux 7.10 (my main one) and Windows XP Pro (for the games that just won't work in Linux and don't have an open-source alternative).

Way, way back in time, my first computer ran DOS (I forget which version, but an old one...). The next computer had DOS 5 and Windows 3.11 (which had to be launched from DOS). Then I moved on to Windows 98/98SE which I stuck with for years. Then I finally moved up to Windows XP. Around a year or so ago, I got curious as to what other options there may be. I started small with PuppyLinux in a VM. and gradually moved towards a bigger distro (Ubuntu) on an external USB drive. It's only been about 3 months since I actually repartitioned my internal drives and stuck Ubuntu on there. It's been three months and I now use Linux almost exclusively.

Why? There are a number of reasons. A big one for me is security. Under Windows, I had to run several programs in the background just to protect myself: antivirus, antispyware, firewall, etc. On the other hand Linux, while not impervious to harm, is structured more towards negating the need for specialized security programs. All I have is a hardware firewall, which is common sense in any OS.

Then there's the options which Linux offers. I like options; the more the better. For example, with Windows XP I have (by default) only 3 choices as to how the GUI appears: Ugly Playskool Blue/Green, a tolerable silver and green, and old-fashioned Windows (also silver, but no green). Under Linux, there are probably thousands of combinations available. I can use Gnome, KDE, Fluxbox, Enlightenment, or others, with or without Compiz-Fusion, and any number of color, icon, font, and window decoration themes. Or, I can dispense with GUI's all together and bask in the warm glow of a pure text-based interface.

These choices exist because Linux is a modular operating system. And being modular, there's a great deal of compartmentalism. This compartmentalism lends itself well to overall system stability. For example, if the graphics subsystem in Windows crashes, it brings down the whole system because the graphics subsystem is integral to the kernel. On Linux, if I crash the X-Server then I get dropped down into text mode but the system keeps on running as if nothing happened. All I have to do to restart the X-Server and keep going myself.

Getting to your question about which OS would work best on equal hardware, it's hard to say. There are a lot of things that would need to be considered first.

Like, which versions should be compared? Vista's the latest MS OS, but few would argue at this point that it's the best version. There are hundreds of versions of Linux available. It would hardly be fair to compare, say, DamnSmallLinux to Windows or MacOSX on the basis of speed. But, in my experience, Linux is snappier than Windows (I've not used a Mac in over a decade, so I can't speak to how they would do).

Whoa, this post is way longer than I planned! :thumbsup:

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 11 April 2008 - 04:15 AM.

#3 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:14 AM

wow, thx. but I guess alot of programs don't work with linux, like office 2003 and all other applications im so used to. When u say putting linux on an external usb drive, how much room did u need? 4gig like windows xp?

I would like to hear some opinions about Mac as well, from everyone of course,

thx

Edited by unloaded, 11 April 2008 - 06:15 AM.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:40 AM

Well, the external drive was only 5GB, and it fit well into that much space. I don't recall the actual usage, I'm afraid, but Ubuntu.com says 4GB.

You can use MS office (or so they say) through a bit of programming called Crossover Office. Me? I just use OpenOffice! Most Windows programs won't work on Linux, some will through WINE. There are usually Linux equivalents, though, and they usually kick posterior.

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:18 PM

Here's a great list of Linux programs to do what the Windows programs do.
http://www.linuxscrew.com/2007/11/22/windo...linux-software/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:08 AM

any Mac users?

#7 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

Linux for Me. Used M$ for about 7 years before I found the happiness that is Linux. I have been un-infested by windows for about 2 years now, and will never willingly use it again. I used to really want a Mac, a Mac-Mini would have been my choice, or after winning a large sum of money, it would have been a Mac Pro with Two Quad-Core Intel Xeon's, 16 gig 800MHz DDR2 memory, 4 750gig Hard Drives, Two 16x SuperDrives, and what ever the "Uber-Graphics" card(s) would be (or some thing to that effect), But after using several different "flavors" of Linux (I can't see using anything but PCLinux from now on) I no longer feel the need for a Apple of any type, as my Linux fulfills my every need so far. (Email and teh interwebs) and then there is the whole "FREE" aspect of the software.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#8 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:19 PM

You can use some Windows applications with Linux if you have Wine installed. "Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X, OpenGL, and Unix."

It is very useful to us especially when there is no alternative for some applications.

Personally I use Ubuntu 7.10 and soon to be 8.04! One more day!

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:57 PM

I use linux as well, but duel boot windows because the g/f cant stand Ubuntu (It doesn't play her little flash/real arcade games properly sometimes, and I wonder why I have to clean the adware/spyware from windows once a week). For me its was just the fact that Linux has so much more user control than windows and I'm a control freak. I've used Mac and its just not an option here in my area, granted the move to the x86 processor compared to the PPC processor helped on finding local parts but PC parts are much easier to find and cheaper. Kinda like do I build a Chevy Small Block engine (very common and cheap to build), or a MG B motor (next to impossible to get "proper" parts for here in the states)

Posted Image

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:08 PM

Correction: 3 hours and 22 minutes, by my watch (though I don't think they're releasing right at midnight.)

A fair number of Windows programs have been run under Linux using WINE, with varying degrees of success. Most small programs will work just fine. Larger, more complex programs tend to have a harder time of it, though this is not a hard and fast rule.

For example, I have two different programs which I've tried to use under WINE in the past month or so. The first, Risk II, is a small computerized version of the classic Risk board game. The other, a large and complex program called Finale 2007 which is designed to create music. Finale relies on a lot of complex things which need to be working correctly if the program is to run. It comes with specialized fonts, MIDI input and output, and myriad other things. Risk II is a single executable with some WAV music files and AVI videos.

I couldn't even get Risk II to install; Finale 2007 installed without a hitch and runs nearly perfectly.

The good people at Codeweavers (who are behind WINE) maintain an online database of programs and their respective amenability to WINE: http://appdb.winehq.org/

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 23 April 2008 - 11:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users