Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bill Gates No More!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:52 PM

Ok, I'm a late bloomer in the world of LINUX. I have HAD IT with the viruses, spyware, hacked copies of windows, etc. I was told that Ubuntu or Suse were the answer to my problems. So I decided to download ubuntu first. I burned the iso to a dvd and rebooted my system. The install splash screen came up and I chose install. Suddenly my monitor went to standby and my computer just stopped working. Please help this noob experience the wonder that is Linux.

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

Windows 7 Professional x64 dual boot Ubuntu 12.10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zedsed420

zedsed420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:59 PM

P.S.
My system consists of the following,

ECS AMD690GM-M2 AM2 AMD 690G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - OEM

OCZ Platinum Revision-2 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 x 1024MB)

ThermalTake TMG A3
CPU Cooling Fan for AMD AM2/K8

Samsung 200GB SERIAL ATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G

WD Caviar 80GB SATA-3G HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G

NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT 256MB PCIe w/DVI/TV-OUT

Lite-ON 20X DVDRW SATA LH-20A1S-12 Int No SW OEM

SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM

Rosewill RCR-102 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader

TP-Link TL-WN651G Wireless G Network Adapter - 108Mbps, 802.11g, PCI

Leadtek WinFast HDTV Cinema PCI TV Tuner - ATSC, NTSC, DVR, All-in-1 Remote, Video Converter, EPG, Direct Burn-to-Disc, iPod/PSP Support

Logitech USB cordless keyboard and mouse

Emachines 17" monitor model number EView 17f

Again, Thank you for your help

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

#3 jacobroufa

jacobroufa

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:19 AM

download image linked below, burn to cd (not dvd), boot and select install. its pretty much all automated from there.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu-kde4/rel...d64.iso.torrent

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:06 AM

Looks like you may want to try an "alternate install" CD. What that is is an installation CD that dispenses with some of flashier installation methods and simply takes you through it in text mode (don't worry, you'll get the same install you would otherwise, but fewer things can go wrong in the process). You should also make sure to download the AMD64 compatible version. Here's a direct download link.

Further, like jacobroufa said, you need to burn the ISO file to a CD rather than to a DVD.

Posted Image

#5 zedsed420

zedsed420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:16 AM

Why a cd instead of a dvd? Call it noob curiosity

#6 jacobroufa

jacobroufa

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:39 AM

amazing andrew : the link i posted is to an alternate cd so i think i beat you to the punch but i didnt explain so thank you for doing so!

zedsed420 : honestly i dont know why cd instead of dvd - apparently theres no difference according to a forum similar to this.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f59/burn-cd-iso-onto-dvd-143236/

#7 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:01 AM

compression

that's why there's a DVD install link (Besides having all the bells and whistles as well)
and a cd link.

CDROMis readable by all cd and dvd players in format, dvd format isn't. I think I'm screwing up the explanation. I know what I mean, I just can't really put it to words now...wow this candy is good...

anyway, cd and dvd are different formats on the image files and won't work unless you burn to the right media.

Edited by Joedude, 11 April 2008 - 10:04 AM.

If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#8 zedsed420

zedsed420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

I was wondering why the difference because I was able to burn to and install kubuntu and puppy on dvd. I think the original download of ubuntu was incomplete. I used Power iso to burn kubuntu and puppy both to dvd and my kubuntu seems stable except that i can't seem to get the internet to work yet. I have a wireless card that doesnt seem to be supported with the drivers kubuntu was bundled with.

#9 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:42 AM

You can burn cd images onto dvd, some applications do that auto, some it doesn't matter.

What I just couldn't get my fingers to type out was that making a cdrom iso and burning on a dvd won't work unless our application KNOWS and adjusts...dang it...I'm going to stop now...I'm loosing myself in theis...I hate my job...
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#10 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:13 PM

Also, if what above doesn't work, have you tried in safe graphics mode? I remember trying different versions of linux on my computer, and they wouldn't work unless I did that.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#11 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:46 PM

Ok, I'm a new Ubuntu convert, but I can answer the CD/DVD part:

DVD drives are backward compatible with CDs; the CD disk will be read by a DVD drive.
The reverse is NOT true: CD drives will not be able to read DVD disks.
CDRW/DVDRW or 'combo' drives will read and write both.The Hardware limitation is the size of the laser in the drive. The DVD drive has a narrower laser focus than a CD drive, measured in so many nanometers. Blu-Ray is even narrower and will be able to read all 3.

After that, it is down to the firmware from the manufacturer as to what the drive will support, so check the documentation from the OEM.

As a rule of thumb, I always make my boot disks on CDs just in case one of my technoweenie friends loses theirs & needs an emergency boot. For some unknown reason, they will still rather call me than India... :thumbsup:

#12 limojoe

limojoe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:18 PM

Hello

I have similar configuration but my Leadtek WinFast HDTV Cinema is not working on Ubuntu LTS 8.04

Has anybody managed how to make it work ? My media PC is stuck on this :-)

Cheers

#13 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:54 PM

just to chime in, i might go for the 32 bit linux for a newer user, theres a few things that have compatibility issues with 64bit, (ie. it can be a pain to get flash player for firefox on ubuntu 64)

just my .02
You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

#14 bookfly

bookfly

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:42 PM

burn the ISO file to a CD rather than to a DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users