Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Hardrive Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jasonh1818

Jasonh1818

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

ok my laptop was totally destroyed I dont know how all I know is I have important info on my hardrive that I need. I asked a buddy of mine to see if he could get the info off of it. he used a USB 2.0 IED cable and connected it to his desktop. it recognized everything on the computer. except my user name folder was empty. What is important to know is that I had my desktop user name password protected. (I was running windows xp professional) also when I set up the password there was an option to keep files hidden. so I did that as well. now I need to know how can I get it so where I can connect my laptop harddrive to my moms desktop computer and run the laptop drive as if was the primary drive meaning the operating system would boot up and everything. please I have pictures and family things that I can't ever get back. I know many of you will harp on me for not backing up my data but hey I didn't expect to be gone for about an hour and come back home to see that my laptop was destroyed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:45 AM

If this hdd is a IDE you could try installing it as a slave drive in another computer and transfer your files from there. Connecting the hdd as the master in another computer is a good way to corrupt the OS, I would strongly suggest that you not do that. This article explains it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Jasonh1818

Jasonh1818
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:11 AM

I wont beable to view my files because my files are hidden to everyone except me I set that option like that. The only way to get my fgiles is to boot up the operating system on the laptop harddrive and then log onto my account and retrieve my info that way unless there is a way to view all the hidden files and do it your way?

#4 ShrOomiN

ShrOomiN

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:38 PM

Um there might be, I might be misunderstanding you, but if you can still boot up your computer, there is a free O.S. called linux knoopix that boots from your cd/dvd drive. It allows you to not view your hidden files but you can copy them, put them on a hard drive, flash drive, or disc and then put them on your normal operating system and view them. Hehe had to do that once. If this helps just respond again and i'll tell you where you can get knoppix, it really is free and legal though, so don't worry about the fuzz.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:38 PM

Show Hidden Files
http://www.microsoft.com/
Take ownership of a file or folder
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Jasonh1818

Jasonh1818
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:48 PM

no My laptop can't start up. Thanks for those two sites garmanma definitely will try them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users