Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd+rw Cant Read Discs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mrgooey

mrgooey

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:21 PM

I was burning a movie, when i accidentally click the standby button on my keyboard. Now, i cant read CD-R or DVD-R discs. When i put the disc inside, it says 0 bytes free of 652 MB. However, when i click on it, it gives me the window version CD burner app. Does any1 know how to fix this. Thx. :thumbsup:

DVD : Lightscribe DVD supermuliti Drive/ CD Writer (letter E)

Edited by mrgooey, 11 April 2008 - 07:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:57 PM

Have you shut down and let the drive recover, I have locked one up and had to use the emergency eject hole and power down and let it sit to recover
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 mrgooey

mrgooey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:02 PM

Have you shut down and let the drive recover, I have locked one up and had to use the emergency eject hole and power down and let it sit to recover

Sry, for the noob question. But how do i do that ? My DVD+RW didnt came with a manual. I try poking at the hole with a toothpick. But the toothpick keeps going into the hole. Thanks for the reply.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:20 PM

It usually takes a staightened paper clip to open a stuck drive, and that's only to remove a disk

you need to be powered down, computer shut off, a drive is usually locked when the light is flashing all the time the computer is on?

your problem is probably different?

you might have corrupted the firmware for all I know?
Chewy

#5 mrgooey

mrgooey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:49 PM

That isnt my problem. I can eject my dvd drive. When i put my disc inside, and close it. It will scan it for a while. Then, i go to my computer, and it isnt there (empty disc). Its not all locked down cuz it stops flashing. Im not sure about the firmware part. I didnt try to update or do and modification of the firmware to my drive. I only accidentally click the standby button while burning files ( or can that corrupt my firmware) ?

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:21 PM

or can that corrupt my firmware

who knows? such things may be like a voltage surge? You might try removing/uninstalling it from device manager and rebooting. Windows should pick it back up after reboot.

What disk are we talking about, a brand new one? if it's the one that was in the drive when you went into standby, that one will be a coaster, throw it away if it was a cd-r or dvd-/+r
Chewy

#7 mrgooey

mrgooey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:27 PM

Well mine is a Fujifilm DVD+R disc. no, it isnt new, i have already used 45 of them and all works great.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:31 PM

the disk is a brand new one(never been burned to) look at it?

try another one?
Chewy

#9 mrgooey

mrgooey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:39 PM

Brand New DVD+R . Nothin in there. I tried my Maxwell DVD-R and still give me the same results

Not sure if this info helps but, when i open my burning software. I can still burn files ( like it gives me the percent it will be done) , but it dosent work.

#10 mrgooey

mrgooey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:47 PM

DACHEW ! THX VERY MUCH ! THX THX THX !!! Fixed that problem. THX again. Never been so happy !

Note: I follow ur idea to uninstall the device and restarted. And it ... WORKED. THX ALOT for all Bleeping Computer Dudes. CHEERS

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:14 PM

glad it worked, I think I will pass on duplicating your problem, I am afraid of standby
Chewy

#12 mrgooey

mrgooey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:37 PM

oh no ... its stops working again . It was working for few days. Now i have to uninstall the device. Then restart it, to get it working again. Any suggestions
Oh yeah ... i download the NERO info tool. And it dosent show my drive. But, in my Computer, the E drive is still there (My DVD drive)

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:41 PM

the first test is a tricky one, after making sure all cable connections and jumpers if any are properly done/connected

can you boot to a cd and a dvd with the drive?

If not then the drive is going bad or a cable is

after you find out that it boots then you look for software driver issues

another test does the drive show in bios or post

Edited by DaChew, 25 April 2008 - 05:42 PM.

Chewy

#14 mrgooey

mrgooey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:26 PM

Checked my cables and all of them are connected properly. I hace a linux disc that can be run from live cd. So, i restart my pc and goin to the boot menu and clicked my dvd drive. The disc however works fine.

EDIT: Nvm, fixed the problem. I got a registy defrag app. Thx for helping though

Edited by mrgooey, 27 April 2008 - 05:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users