Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modems Only Work A Day Or Two

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 G_Eris

G_Eris

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:58 PM

I am trying to help a friend fix a modem problem he's having with his HP 2.4 GH PC. He installed a US Robotics 56K V9.2 PCI modem less than 6 months ago. Suddely, it started disconnecting from the internet provider, yet it didn't hang up from the telephone. We replaced it with the same kind of modem. Again it worked, but only for a couple of days when it stopped connecting to the provider. ( It did NOT have the same issue with not hanging up.) We replaced it with yet another US Robotics 56K V9.2 PCI internal modem. It worked for a couple of days and again has stopped connecting to the provider. I know it's not the provider. Any suggestions would be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:15 PM

Have you checked with their ISP to see if they can walk them through the connection settings to be sure it isn't something that has changed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:48 PM

Is it a seperate line? Back in the day i'd get calls and disconnect from the internet without the phone ringing.

Pretty sure its *70 you put in before the dialup number to disable call waiting.

Edited by smurfgod, 10 April 2008 - 09:49 PM.

#4 Kristopher McDougall

Kristopher McDougall

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:25 AM

i would try an external usb modem and make sure your phone line going into the modem is going through a surge protector ... could just be some surge in the phone line enough to mess with your internal movems? ??

#5 G_Eris

G_Eris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:54 AM

It's not the ISP because it works properly for a couple of days after installing new modem and driver. It acts more like an internal setting changes after a couple of days. Second, while it is not a sperate line, he does not have call waiting. The refusal to hang up was an issue only one of the 3 modems had. I put it in just in case someone had heard of that. Third, the usb external modem is a good idea, though his phone line and computer run through a surge protector/battery backup connection. This is why this has me so stumped. I can't figure out what the heck is going on. His next alternative is to just get a new comp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users