Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Install This Particular Software Via Disc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Albertarocks

Albertarocks

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:27 PM

Hello,

This is one of the stranger things I've seen my computer do!

I'm running WindowsXP Pro with Service Pack 2 installed and updated.

I have an installation disc for Fuji FinePix digital camera. In the past, I've been able to install this software onto my harddrive with no problems at all. Today though, I don't have this software on my computer and I need to install it so I can retrieve pictures from my digicam. I'm on a business trip soon, and I need the space on the camera.

When I try to install the software, for some strange reason it opens NVIDIA drivers installation. What in the world could be causing this wierd occurence? The only thing I can think of is that the last time I successfully installed this software, I didn't have Service Pack 2 updated. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure I had Service Pack 2 installed at all.

I'd sure appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Danno

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:37 AM

You can tru getting to the program on the disk manually. To do this, insert the CD and open My Computer (be sure to close the NVidia driver thing if it pops up). Once you're in My Computer, right-click on the CD drive's icon and click Explore. This should open another window that shows the contents of the CD. Snoop around for the setup program (usually called "setup.exe" or something like it). There may be more than one and there's likely going to be some folder that contain even more files. Look in them too. It may take you a little while, but you'll find it.

#3 Albertarocks

Albertarocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Andrew, but that's not quite the issue. I'm not having a problem running the disc. It doesn't autorun, so I've had to go find that 'set-up' program in the files and initiate if from there.

The problem is that when I initiate the set-up to install the Fuji software, the installation disc starts to spin up as it should and the window pops up saying it is going to install the Fuji software. As soon as I click the appropriate button to start the Fuji install, miraculously the computer starts to install the "Windows Nvidia Display drivers". I tried it again this morning and the same thing happened. I cancelled the installation of the Nvidia drivers. Then the window popped up again saying my computer was in the process of installing Quick Time, which I already have. When I cancelled that, another window popped us saying the computer was initiating the install of Windows Media Player. As long as I leave that Fuji disc in the drive, the computer continues to try to install anything it wants. Now if it wanted to install new carpet in my condo, I might let it proceed, but this is annoying as you can imagine.

Ive successfully installed this Fuji software in the past, but so far have been unsuccessful this week. I've tried the installation using a different drive with the same result. I've tried it using "Add or Remove Programs" from the Control Panel.... same result.

Any other guidance would be wildly appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Danno

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:01 PM

Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and check the boxes of the offending applications trying to take over the install. You can check all of the boxes if you want except for Windows Office applications. You should be able to install it then. You do know you can just download the pictures using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users