Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BHO Settings

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:35 AM

I've never had a problem with internet speed or connection until a few days ago. I always connected at the highest speed and everything ran fast and smoothly. But on Friday, all that changed. It would connect at different, odd speeds, but regardless of the speed, everything ran so slowly. So, Monday I called my ISP and she had me reset the modem. Then in IE, she also had me "Restore Defaults" under Advanced Tab of Internet Options. She then had me reboot. I connected to the internet at the highest maximum speed (115,200 on my system) and IE was fast loading and browsing and every site I went to would load so fast. I was pretty pleased. She then told me if I had any further problems, to update my modem drivers otherwise I was set and good to go.
But in my excitement at the improvements and it seemed my problem was gone, I discovered my Google Toolbar vanished. So, I reinstalled it. It said "your browser helper objects have been disabled; for Google toolbar to work, you must enable them" or something to that effect. I let Google installer enable them and now the Google Toolbar is back....BUT things are running slow again.
What can I do? What happened? Can I not have Google Toolbar AND fast speeds at the same time anymore? I did for nearly 2 years, until a few days ago. Does any of this even make sense? Browsing and loading are fine but intermittently slow way down. And playing online games stinks.
Please advise.
Thanks.

Also, could someone tell me what all my security/privacy/cookie settings should be? I fooled around with it and the Google Toolbar is gone again. Should I post a HJT log? I'm stressing over all this.

Edited by TexasAngel67, 23 March 2005 - 12:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:56 AM

Look in the tutorials section for the ie settings in the tutorial on keeing your computer secure. Is this a new version of the googletoolbar?

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:35 AM

Once the ISP lady had me Restore Defaults in IE, the GT just stopped working. I've fooled around with them so that they are just about where they should be again (the settings to allow 3rd party). A couple of days ago, I reinstalled GT but with no luck. Now, when I go to Add/Remove Programs, I click on the GT and the add/remove button. It thinks for about 5 seconds then nothing happens except it freezes up on me and I have to do Ctrl-Alt-Delete to close it out. And 2 new items appear in Ctrl-Alt-Delete - Regsvr32 and slrundll. So, it's at a standstill basically. I am not too happy with the ISP for having me do that (Restore Defaults) since my troubles doubled.
The update now is this:
Resetting the modem didn't solve the problem.
Updating the modem drivers didn't solve the problem.
A brand new modem installed yesterday didn't solve the problem.

I'm at the end of my rope and I'm about to call the ISP/phone company to have them come out and check all my wires, cords, and cables. They put in all brand new wires, cables, and cords over 18 mos ago but maybe dogs, cats, and squirrels tore them up again, I don't know. But this all started last Friday and my patience has run out.
I don't even like the new modem setup deal. Because now I have the Com3 icon sitting near the ISP logo while I am online. The first couple of times of being online with the new modem, it was at 49,333 bps. Right now it says 50,666. Regardless, the speed stinks and I'm upset that they've blamed the modem from the start. I think I got a new modem for nothing. Unless you tell me differently.
I know dialup will give most people fluctuating connection speeds but for nearly 2 years, it stayed at 52,000 and everything loaded fast.
But to answer your question about the new version of the GT, it's 2, 0, 114, 9 according to the Google folder I found in Program Files. That was downloaded and reinstalled March 21st.
One final question/comment. When my cursor is on the double computer icon, it reads blah, blah, blah sent @ 921,600bps - the (new) maximum connection speed allowed or capable by the new modem. But the actual speed reads 49,333. This information used to be accessible by my cursor on the ISP logo icon. Now I have to get it by right-clicking the Com3 icon and selecting Status. In case it means anything, I went from v.90 to v.92/v.44.
Forgive my nonsense, I'm kinda losing it - lol.
My good friend OT (OldTimer) suggested a program that helps remove things from Add/Remove Programs when you are unable to remove them manually. Forgot the name of it. I tried to download that but the link just froze on me.
Incidentally, the Google Toolbar is not found on my HJT log - OT had me check.

So with that horribly large amount of useless information, am I right to have the phone company (which is also my ISP) come out and check things in and out of the house? Otherwise, I'm lost. Which is another reason I love the GT. I get popups now and then and I'm just waiting for an About:Blank infection.

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 01:07 PM

Would you mind providing a list af all the processes running when you are online? Something tells me that the sudden drop is speed is actually a software problem, not a hardware one.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2005 - 01:20 PM

I was back on the phone with my ISP and after 55 minutes (don't ask), we ping'd a few things and changed the dialing up number.
I don't think it'll ever be like it was before. But the speed has seemed to rest at a constant 50,666.
I still don't know what really happened and I'm unsettled by that. Just how I am.
Doing Ctrl-Alt-Delete, the right things are there with an additional one I mentioned before, slrundll, which I'll research and see what it's linked to.
MSCONFIG startup shows the same 5 things it always has. No problems there.
I told OT a couple of days ago that I give up and I do. I've checked and done all I can think of, with and without the aid of the ISP. My log appears clean. I even looked for those kersplats and exclamation points on hardware, there aren't any.
It's a lost cause, I think.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2005 - 01:24 PM

It could be they had you on a bad modem pool, could have been line noise on of their numbers etc. Unfortunately when dealing with dialups there are a myriad of issues that can come into play

#7 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2005 - 08:54 PM

Could be. I did try and see if I could change preferences and settings so that things appear more normally but there really isn't any - at least not regarding getting rid of the Com3 icon down on the bottom right corner. I'll have to live with it, :flowers: .
But things seem fairly normal now. Speeds aren't bad. Downloaded a big file and Irfan. No complaints there.
The woman did tell me that if a complaint is made on a dial-to-connect number, they will check it and also do a check on the other numbers in the same area code.
Hopefully, this is true.
Thanks for the input everyone. Now that I'm less happy than I was a week ago, I'm seriously considering going to DSL. I just hear more complaints on that than I do about dialup. I suppose because we expect more and pay more for DSL. We all know how swell dialup is compared to cable, :trumpet: . I'd happily go back to cable IF Charter would leave the area OR allow competition to move in. :thumbsup:

Edit: I checked out the slrundll on my running tasks (Ctrl-Alt-Delete). It turns out to be a necessary dll for the SmartLink modem driver. It shows up whenever I am online. So, it's gotta be there.

Edited by TexasAngel67, 26 March 2005 - 10:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users