Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Turns On Off On Off, Wont Start Up

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 behr

behr

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

I researched this a little. I tried a relatively new PSU and that didnt solve the problem either. I think it might be the power button but all the front panel buttons go into a plug that fits all these pins so Im not sure which ones are the power pins.

I recently took it all apart and cleaned all kinds of horrible dust out of it, and put new thermal paste on the CPU. Think that might have anything to do with it?

If its not the PSU, and its not the power button, what could it be?

thanks.

EDIT- Just to clarify, once the power is hit on, everything starts running hardware-wise for a second or two, then shuts down and does the same thing again. There is no video output.

Edited by behr, 10 April 2008 - 09:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:05 PM

exactly how did you clean the dust out?

Until I had done it for a few years, I had issues with the computer after cleaning on occasion?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 behr

behr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:43 PM

I had a large garage air compressor, on about 35 PSI. The hose was about 20 ft long, and I was as careful as I could be.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

When you replace the thermal compound did you make sure that the heat sink is properly secured to the top of the CPU. If the heat sink isn't properly attached the CPU can reach critical temperatures within seconds causing the system to shut down.

Check to make sure that none of you power or data connections haven't come loose.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 behr

behr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:28 PM

I did my best with the heatsink but its a very strange variety.
It has like a plastic square stuck to the mobo with arms going up (around the CPU mind you).
The heatsink sits in this plastic square, but seems to small. Then you use these 2 U-shaped arm clips that fit around the heatsink and into the arms on the black square, securing the heatsink down.

Even now it seems a bit flimsy, so Ill check if this is the problem.

Also: No connections are loose, I have tried different PSU's and the power button is NOT the problem, I connected the pins manually, same thing.

Also, it seems the kind of buzz or something right before it shuts down.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:34 PM

if it was that bad, I would have turned it up to 90 psi and used a jet nozzle and kept blowing from all direction till I saw no more dust coming out

every slot, around the edges of the mobo and backplate, every opening into the power supply and catch all the pci slots/cards and video card, sometimes a too gentle cleaning will blow dust bunnies under the heat sink on the vid card

it's quite time consuming really

Edited by DaChew, 10 April 2008 - 09:35 PM.

Chewy

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:37 PM

if it was that bad, I would have turned it up to 90 psi and used a jet nozzle and kept blowing from all direction till I saw no more dust coming out

every slot, around the edges of the mobo and backplate, every opening into the power supply and catch all the pci slots/cards and video card, sometimes a too gentle cleaning will blow dust bunnies under the heat sink on the vid card

it's quite time consuming really

Also check to make sure that the air intake locations are not blocked with dust or pet fur.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 behr

behr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:45 PM

No no, its all completely cleaned out now. It was completely dismantled for cleaning, now, upon rebuild, it cycle starts/shuts down.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

upon rebuild, it cycle starts/shuts down.

sure the cpu fan is plugged in? to the right connection?

sounds like a protecion mechanism kicking in?

I had one so dirty even after cleaning i noticed the fan would start and stop. I replaced and turned off power management in bios so it would run all the time
Chewy

#10 behr

behr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:11 PM

Yep all the fans start spinning, then turn right off. It does seem like some kind of protection tho

#11 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:43 PM

Can you list the parts of the system?

What power supply did you have and what one did you upgrade to?
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#12 G_Eris

G_Eris

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:43 AM

Question...When it starts to start up does it get as far as the boot start up before shutting back down? Does it stay shut down or does it seem to be in a loop?

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

I think it might be the power button but all the front panel buttons go into a plug that fits all these pins so Im not sure which ones are the power pins.

Even if it turns on briefly, we know the switch is good. To double-check the power supply unplug it from the motherboard and short out the green wire and a black wire on the 20 (24) pin plug (with a wire or paper clip). If it stays on, the PS is OK. I would take everything out and start over. Inspect the heatsink's plastic mount and make sure it isn't broke. If you removed the CPU before, I would also check for bent pins

Edited by garmanma, 11 April 2008 - 03:25 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 behr

behr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:58 PM

Just checked for bent pins, all look very straight. But the heatsink seems to be oddly stuck to the processor, in that no matter how carefully I remove the heatsink, the CPU comes with it too, right out it its slot with the locking lever.

It does not get to bios or anything. No video.

#15 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:10 PM

if comp will not post it is either motherboard, cpu, or ram. did you remove motherboard for cleaning? it could be shorting out on case. is cpu and ram seated properly ?
unplug everything from motherboard except cpu, ram and keyboard. clear cmos. boot.
did it post? if not remove motherboard and lay on anti static mat or bag. case near by so you can plug in power supply. boot, did it post? if it does enter bios and reset clock. if it does not you have a problem with motherboard, cpu, or ram. only way to test each is to replace one at a time with a known working part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users